Kampa Pro 330 awning blows up

madwomen49 replied on 27/06/2019 09:58

Posted on 27/06/2019 09:58

While sitting in our awning having lunch, our awning went bang. Not just the bladder, it ripped through the roof & left a hole about one & half foot long.

Moderator Comment - Moved from Story Section

Milothedog replied on 04/07/2019 21:16

Posted on 04/07/2019 21:16

Bradcot all the bladders are connected with no valves, so if it has a puncture it all goes down. Kampa you can isolate a bladder.

Correct, when I viewed  both  makes on display in our local dealer though the bradcot is far superior in terms of quality and what is supplied with it. All down to personal choice in the end I suppose, on my second one now after upgrading to the 390 from a 260. I really must get round to advertising the 260 as its just sitting in storage gathering dust .

replied on 05/07/2019 07:35

Posted on 04/07/2019 21:16 by Milothedog

Bradcot all the bladders are connected with no valves, so if it has a puncture it all goes down. Kampa you can isolate a bladder.

Correct, when I viewed  both  makes on display in our local dealer though the bradcot is far superior in terms of quality and what is supplied with it. All down to personal choice in the end I suppose, on my second one now after upgrading to the 390 from a 260. I really must get round to advertising the 260 as its just sitting in storage gathering dust .

Posted on 05/07/2019 07:35

I have the Bradcot Residentia 50. I had every intention of buying the Bradcot Modul air, but changed my mind because no valves.

Material is very good, couple of springs in the poles have let go, easy fix, but the hooks the ladders fix to are very poor, broken several, and you cant buy replacements as they are sewn into fabric hoops, so a factory fix.

It's only 3 months old, Its guaranteed but I've used 6mm plastic rod as replacement, purely because I know the hooks will break again.

For the money a very good piece of kit. No guy ropes, a huge bonus for me. Takes just under an hour to erect, peg out, carpet down. 

Rufs replied on 05/07/2019 09:16

Posted on 04/07/2019 19:24 by Milothedog

Seems to be a reoccurring issue with Kampa air awnings. 

Glad I opted for the Bradcot Air Aspire model...............

Posted on 05/07/2019 09:16

I think Kampa were probably one of the early pioneers in the air awning market and i bought one of the early arrivals. Since then i think Kampa have acknowledged that there were some design flaws , e.g. i see they upgraded all the valves on the later models, not that i ever had a problem with the valves. I think the biggest issue was poor seams on the inner tube that protects the bladder, on all of my failures this inner tube had come apart at the seam allowing the bladder to force its way out and as a consequence it blew out. My replacement legs do seem to be a bit more robust in this area. As for being modular, again in my experience if just 1 of the four legs blows, then the awning becomes almost unuseable, especially if it is the main leg with the inlet valve, yes you can isolate all the horizontal poles but these play only a minor part of the overall awning unless it is windy when they do prevent horizontal movement. I have been on sites in the UK where my 390 has been perhaps one of the very few awnings left standing after storms, i also use it a lot abroad in temperatures 25 - 30 degs. I have to say i do think they are now very expensive, close to £1k, ouchhh!!! , but returning to poles , not really for me.

PrestonDave replied on 05/07/2019 20:43

Posted on 05/07/2019 20:43

We have a Vango air and all the bladders are separate and have to be inflated and deflated one at a time , the roof ones fit between the vertical ones and are held with velcro. Three years old with no problems. 

stephen p replied on 05/07/2019 21:58

Posted on 04/07/2019 08:47 by Cornersteady

In their literature Kampa say their air poles are tested to be safe up to 22psi.

btw an increase of 10C leads to about a 1 psi increase

Posted on 05/07/2019 21:58

I am really surprised by all these air awning failures.

As cornersteady mentioned, depending on the starting point, a 10 degree C rise would not lead to a significant rise in pressure.

I stand to be corrected but going (way) back to school boy Physics

p1/t1 = p2/t2 (t in Kelvin)

Even if the awning was inflated in the cold (t1 = 0C)  to 9psi and the temperature rose to (say) 60 degrees in the tube (due to the sun exposure on a dark fabric) the pressure would still only rise to 11psi.

Either they are being over inflated or the material is failing.

Rufs replied on 06/07/2019 08:09

Posted on 06/07/2019 08:09

the material is failing correct, probably the glue that they use on some of the joints....especially when it gets hot

colin3211 replied on 07/07/2019 21:36

Posted on 07/07/2019 21:36

I bought a Kampa Rally Air Pro 390 new for this season. On 3rd July after the awning had been up for 3 days we returned to the caravan after being away about 2 hours to find the awning deflated. Upon examination we saw a hole in the roof and the inner sleeve with the bladder hanging out with a rip of about a foot. This was only the fourth time we had put up the awning, each time putting 9psi in as per Kampa's recommendations using either the supplied hand pump or Kampa's own mechanical pump. The couple in the neighbouring van said that they heard a loud explosion and thought it was a bird scarer or similar going off. The awning is now totally unusable and we have lost confidence in air awnings and are looking at buying another pole awning

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook