Detachable tow bar problem

Louise Lee replied on 24/04/2018 07:58

Posted on 24/04/2018 07:58

can anyone share any advise with a detachable tow bar and a possible bit of help.

We had a mobile fitter fit a Witter detachable tow bar in Feb 2017 and within 10 months we started to experience the blue handle with the locking mechanism wasn't showing the green indicator once clicked in place to the car. At first we thought we'd fit it incorrectly but over a number of weeks we experienced it getting worse and maybe 1 in 6 tries it would fit to the car. A few trips away again we had the same problem but this time it wouldnt show the green indicator at all so we were at the point we thought we'd have to cancel our trip as we were going away that day. Our fitter lived a couple of hours away and only could explain and demonstrate the problem by video call.  He advised he'd contact the supplier miles away from us again then arrange for it to be collected.  The company collected the neck of the tow bar and took it away for inspection. A day later they advised me that nothing is actually wrong with it and having inspected it and tried it on a bar in their workshop it fit with no problems and showed the green indicator every time.  I got the neck returned yesterday and tried it on the car and expected it's exactly the same. Ive contacted my fitter and just been ignored.  If anyone has had the same problem ??

Just desperate now as Witter are just telling me to go back to whoever fit it.

Never thought for one minute is would happen especially as he came highly recommend.

TIA

Moderator Comment - Moved from the Story Section

EmilysDad replied on 24/04/2018 10:52

Posted on 24/04/2018 10:52

I've never seen a Witter bar in the metal ..... is it perhaps lack of lubrication on the receiver part.

Witter have confirmed that the detachable bit is OK, so presumably the problem lies with the static part. I'd suggest a liberal spraying of something like chain spray (it's sticky & doesn't wash off as easily) into where the detachable bit goes in, & fit & remove the bar several times. When it all works as it should, give the end of detachable bit (NOT the ball 😉) a wipe with grease from time to time.

lornalou1 replied on 24/04/2018 11:36

Posted on 24/04/2018 11:36

have you been putting back the cover when not using the neck and dirt trapped inside receiver. I had this once on mine but it was because I didn't shove it up high enough as the weight made it slip down a little just as I was clicking it in.

harryb replied on 25/04/2018 23:25

Posted on 25/04/2018 23:25

Louise

Do not, as advised, use oil or grease in the receiving chamber. From what you describe the problem has nothing to do with that.

I had the same problem as you describe last year. The blue release knob is fouled with grime from use. This causes your problem of not being able to turn it through 180° therefore it fails to lock open (green). I suggest you let your fitter carry out this operation as follows. If you look at the blue knob you have the locking keyhole. To the side of that is a Witter logo on a reddish coloured plastic cover. You need to get a fine pointed tool and insert it to remove this cover. It will leave a small mark but it can't be helped. Behind this cover is a screw and spring the keeps the knob in place. This needs taking apart carefully to get at the inside which is where the dirt will be. Give everything a good clean (no oil) scraping away the dirt and put it back together, finally replacing the small plastic cover. If you are capable you may try doing it yourself. If not and the towbar is still under warranty then ask you fitter to do it.

Mine's worked perfectly ever since it was cleaned.

ocsid replied on 26/04/2018 06:52

Posted on 26/04/2018 06:52

Interesting information, from it I take on board that leaving it in place longer than needed simply invites more opportunity to get grime in there. Maybe a more general observation on use of detachable hooks?

wallacebob replied on 26/04/2018 08:22

Posted on 26/04/2018 08:22

Have a look at Youtube: lots of detachable instructions and advice.

My present and last detachable were well lubricated from new, but needed cleaning and regreasing each year. What do the instructions recommend.?

ocsid replied on 26/04/2018 17:13

Posted on 26/04/2018 12:36 by cyberyacht

Just seems like another job to do plus you lose the advantage that a fixed one keeps careless parkers at a respectful distance.

Posted on 26/04/2018 17:13

With modern crash protection that "advantage" is questionable, the tow bar places the impact forces that come courtesy of "careless parkers"  right where it can hurt your vehicle.

At least with soft bumpers there is the chance they can on occasion "heal".

chasstreet replied on 26/04/2018 20:03

Posted on 26/04/2018 20:03

When we had our detachable witter fitted we were told to give the receiver a good spray with wd40 each spring 

didnt bother first year and started to get problems as you describe 

went back to fitter, he took one look, shook his head and muttered something under his breath along the lines of “ when will people listen to me”. I fairness that’s the edited highlights of the conversation and a lot cleaner than he used 

I do this and use an old toothbrush to give the inside a bit of a scrub then another spray, you’ll be surprised how much muc comes out after a winters use 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook