Tired tyres

KhrisK replied on 01/05/2019 11:25

Posted on 01/05/2019 11:25

After two and a half months in Spain, beautiful weather this year, we were on our way home on the A62 around Toulouse when we had a puncture in caravan tyre, many problems ensued, my grateful thanks to the red pennant team,on arrival home a good friend of mine who runs a tyre business commented on the photo of the tyre, his assessment was that the tyre had suffered from a deformation due to the van standing to long in one place, mine stands for nine month until January when we disappear to Spain for three months every year, this tyre was only three years old.we were lucky this time but be warned this could happen to anyone

Moderator Comment - Moved from the Story Section

DavidKlyne replied on 01/05/2019 17:36

Posted on 01/05/2019 17:36

When we caravanned and probably didn't use the van for 3/4 months over winter I had a spare set of steel rims with old tyres on so that I did not expose the normal road tyres to the elements and standing for too long. In Spain I would have thought it best to buy covers for the tyres as strong sunlight can be as bad as leaving them for long times at homes. Glad Red Pennant were able to help.

David

KjellNN replied on 02/05/2019 22:05

Posted on 02/05/2019 22:05

I move our van up and down the driveway a little every few weeks to help avoid this, we get about 6 years out of a set of tyres.

63ellsbells replied on 03/05/2019 07:42

Posted on 03/05/2019 07:42

Having replaced all 3 tyres last year, I wanted to prevent this from the beginning and also improve security whilst the ‘van stood on the drive for a few months over winter, so opted for a set of winter wheels, with the ‘van wheels tucked up in the shed at the far end of the garden.

KhrisK replied on 08/05/2019 13:26

Posted on 08/05/2019 13:26

doesn't the use of Winter Wheels invalidate your insurance.

I would love a drive long enough to move mine up and down,

very jealous 

PS had engineers report on hub and van.not goods news,

hub to replace, inner wheel arch cant replace not available any more,

total cost so far just shy of £1000.00

DavidKlyne replied on 08/05/2019 15:20

Posted on 08/05/2019 15:20

Khris

I think you are correct in saying that some insurance companies don't encourage the use of winter wheels because it makes it impossible to move the caravan in an emergency. Best to check with individual insurance companies.

David

JohnM20 replied on 08/05/2019 15:32

Posted on 08/05/2019 15:32

We all think about caravan tyres being stood in one place for several months on end but what about other tyres such as on cars that are in the manufacturers stock-yards or on car dealer's forecourts without being moved. They don't seem to have a problem that I know of. I'm no tyre expert but I would have thought standing on or running on an underinflated tyre was far worse than just not moving. (I'm not suggesting that this was the case with KhrisK).

KjellNN replied on 08/05/2019 20:02

Posted on 08/05/2019 13:26 by KhrisK

doesn't the use of Winter Wheels invalidate your insurance.

I would love a drive long enough to move mine up and down,

very jealous 

PS had engineers report on hub and van.not goods news,

hub to replace, inner wheel arch cant replace not available any more,

total cost so far just shy of £1000.00

Posted on 08/05/2019 20:02

Even a quarter turn of the wheels is enough, our driveway is only 5cm longer than the whole van, but we have a small side path beyond it that allows the hitch to go beyond the house by about 50-60cm.

63ellsbells replied on 08/05/2019 20:14

Posted on 08/05/2019 20:14

doesn't the use of Winter Wheels invalidate your insurance..

No. Checked with my insurers prior to fitting and they were more than happy with the switch and confirmed via email.

i think for them, theft from a drive is by far the greater risk when not in use, and these go a long way to reduce that risk 🤞

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook