Sat nav

keithjan replied on 21/02/2018 11:22

Posted on 21/02/2018 11:22

any body using the caravan club garmin satnav , is it worth over £300 or is there other types just as good , we have got a  acsi card which the club sat nav has their sites listed which is handy and the map updates are done with out the computer ,so any feedback would help 

thanks

Moderator Comment - Moved from the Story Section to Discussions

young thomas replied on 22/02/2018 10:25

Posted on 22/02/2018 10:25

Do you currently have a satnav?

If so, you can load the ACSI POI file directly onto it.

How old is the file on the device you're looking at? 2015/16/17?

how will you get the ACSI 2018 list into it next year?

all preloaded data devices are out of date as soon as they are produced and could be (1 or 2) years out of date when purchased.

sites join and leave the scheme each year, as with CC/CCC sites and CLs open and close...

by downloading the file from ACSI (or even Archies Campings) you'll always have the latest file.

Tinwheeler replied on 22/02/2018 16:05

Posted on 22/02/2018 16:05

Our MH came complete with the CAMC satnav. It’s a Garmin Camper 770 with a couple of apps for club sites and CLs added.

It is unable to distinguish between HGVs and those of us who are less than 3050kg ULW as it calculates by vehicle size, not weight. Consequently, its recommended speed limits are not correct for lighter vans.

Although it’s a good satnav, I’m not sure it’s worth the money and I probably wouldn’t buy a like for like replacement. 

Doosan replied on 22/02/2018 20:00

Posted on 22/02/2018 16:05 by Tinwheeler

Our MH came complete with the CAMC satnav. It’s a Garmin Camper 770 with a couple of apps for club sites and CLs added.

It is unable to distinguish between HGVs and those of us who are less than 3050kg ULW as it calculates by vehicle size, not weight. Consequently, its recommended speed limits are not correct for lighter vans.

Although it’s a good satnav, I’m not sure it’s worth the money and I probably wouldn’t buy a like for like replacement. 

Posted on 22/02/2018 20:00

That is very strange, I have the Garmin Camper 760LM and I am able to input my SUV and caravan weight and that combined comes to just over 3.5 tonnes and the maximum speed on the route works out to 90kmh or 56mph in old money.

Tinwheeler replied on 22/02/2018 20:34

Posted on 22/02/2018 20:00 by Doosan

That is very strange, I have the Garmin Camper 760LM and I am able to input my SUV and caravan weight and that combined comes to just over 3.5 tonnes and the maximum speed on the route works out to 90kmh or 56mph in old money.

Posted on 22/02/2018 20:34

Ours has size dimension input, Dossan, and shows speed limits for the vehicle as 60mph on motorways, for example, even though our limit is 70mph. 

If it allows weight to be input, it’s mighty well hidden.

However, as you tow, your speed limit would be 60mph max anyway.

Doosan replied on 22/02/2018 21:10

Posted on 22/02/2018 20:34 by Tinwheeler

Ours has size dimension input, Dossan, and shows speed limits for the vehicle as 60mph on motorways, for example, even though our limit is 70mph. 

If it allows weight to be input, it’s mighty well hidden.

However, as you tow, your speed limit would be 60mph max anyway.

Posted on 22/02/2018 21:10

Sorry, I should of said this is when I am touring in France, where you are allowed to tow up to 81mph under 3.5t on M 'ways and 68mph on other roads. But if you are over 3.5t you are the same as the truckers and have a maximum of 56mph. So when I'm towing in France and If i exceed the 56mph my sat-nav warns me. When set to Motorhome/caravan.  

keithjan replied on 23/02/2018 23:16

Posted on 23/02/2018 23:16

Thanks for your replies I think the avtex Garmin satnav is over priced and that I will find another type that provides similar info for a much cheaper price. My motorhome does not have a satnav fitted and the one we use is a few years old now. Because we are planning our first trip abroad this year to Spain we thought we would invest in a satnav that displayed the road lanes on screen so it made it easier for our first foreign driving. Caravan sites stored in the sat nav would be an advantage

thanks for replying

snappy chappy replied on 18/03/2018 19:36

Posted on 18/03/2018 19:36

I've got the avtex camper 660 garmin, its over priced for what it is.

whether the settings  for car and caravan works, I'm not sure.

my biggest gripe is, it sends us one way, and on the return it sends us a different way,  I cant  understand that.!!

on my devices,  at home looking for campsites, all I can find, for club sites, are up to 77mls , and 17mls for cl sites, away from us.

I wont to see all sites, so I can preset satvav.

Prometheus replied on 11/10/2020 12:28

Posted on 11/10/2020 12:28

I have downloaded to my Tom Tom Start25 the Tom Tom files from the club. These appear to be POIs and I'm wondering how I can use these POIs as destinations from whatsoever start point I would be travelling from?

I have also downloaded the files for a Garmin Nuvi 65, the Garmin pages don't appear to have any info on transferring files from PC to Satnav. I found a pdf from the club but upon using a link -  http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/satnav - from the pdf to a page on the club site, there doesn't appear to be such a page?

I'll be grateful for any info upon both above items. Thanks

peedee replied on 12/10/2020 06:59

Posted on 12/10/2020 06:59

I see there hasn't actually been a rush of answers to your question Prometheus! I don't have a Garmin or a TomTom but I take it you have both? I cannot help with specifics but in general in most cases of loading POIs onto sat navs you have to connect your sat nav to a PC and copy the POI files you have downloaded into the appropiate sat nav files.  So you will need to explore the files of the sat nav and identify where POI files are stored. Once you have done this you have to copy both the download of the POI file and the  associated icon to your sat nav. Restart your sat nav and you should then be able use the POI file to plot a route to one of the sites.

peedee

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook