Will these tyres work? 16" Ducato....

Jev88 replied on 07/03/2019 22:17

Posted on 07/03/2019 22:17

Apologies if this is not how this forum works but finding it hard to find anything useful I want.....

Hi.  My Autocruise Impala has 205/70R16C steel wheels and tyres.  They have been standing for a while prior to purchase and so I feel like I need to change out at least the front two.

Manual mentions common fit for the larger Ducato Maxi platform that I have is 215/75R16C

I have been offered some 118 rated Peugeot van alloys fitted with 226/65R16C wheels.

I am aware most vehicles can accept slight width and tyre thickness variations.  Am I on safe ground with these?

Moderator Comment - Moved from the Story Section

brue replied on 15/03/2019 12:52

Posted on 15/03/2019 12:52

Sorry can't really help you except that we've just changed our tyres for Pirelli Carriers and I think their is a wide range of choice and price out there. Maybe if you posted in the motorhome section on the main forum you might get further suggestions.

DavidKlyne replied on 15/03/2019 14:46

Posted on 15/03/2019 14:46

Wouldn't you want to keep all the tyres the same size? What have you currently got on the van? Both Michelin and Continental do tyres specifically for motorhomes with reinforced sidewalls, an ordinary van tyre might not be so robust? When you say the current tyres have been standing for some time, how long do you mean is it just a matter of months or years?

David

young thomas replied on 17/03/2019 07:48

Posted on 17/03/2019 07:48

firstly, I guess we are talking about an Auto-Trail Imala, not an Autocruise?

secondly, it is very important that you understand that the 16" alloys you are considering definitely come from a van with the Maxi (heavy) chassis.....'a Peugeot van'.....could mean a light delivery van, for example.

16" wheels were also optional on the light chassis but, despite looking similar, have a different stud spacing (smaller hubs, brakes on the light version) so will not fit....

I need another wheel and have the light chassis but upgraded to 16" wheels...the dealer explained this very issue to me as follows...

"it is correct that there are 16“ steel wheels for the f35 light and the f40 heavy chassis. But unfortunately they´re not the same!
The f35 light has a bolt circle of 118 mm, the f40 heavy version is 130 mm. This needs to be considered when ordering a spare wheel from Fiat. But a Fiat dealership should probably be able to provide him with the correct spare wheel."

JollyKernow replied on 17/03/2019 08:46

Posted on 17/03/2019 08:46

Morning

So some good advice from BB above, also don't forget you'd need to notify your insurance with regard a wheel change.

Why not take your van to your local tyre shop, they will freely check your rubber for safety to use, also check the age and let you know if you do need new rubber. Personally if new tyres are needed I'd put mid range van tyres on. Camper tyres have stiffer sidewalls but they are stupid money and in my opinion you only need them if a- you're loaded to the max orb- your van sits still for long periods.. You'll never wear out a tyre on a motorhome, it will deteriorate with age long before. I have regular van tyres on my van and they perform fine.

JK

brue replied on 17/03/2019 09:06

Posted on 17/03/2019 09:06

Good posts from BB and JK. We changed our tyres recently due to age, the wear was minimal after much travelling and just one small repair. Check and compare tyre prices, you can pay too much. You could also look up what your manufacture is putting on the van as it comes out of production.

huskydog replied on 17/03/2019 09:19

Posted on 17/03/2019 09:19

Tyre dates are a very interesting subject , soon I will need to replace the tyres on my M/H , and was looking at various tyre manufacturers web sites and some say a unsold tyre with a date of up to 5years is considered to be "new" and then can be fitted and used for a further 5-7 years , it's a bit of a minefield 

JollyKernow replied on 17/03/2019 18:13

Posted on 17/03/2019 09:19 by huskydog

Tyre dates are a very interesting subject , soon I will need to replace the tyres on my M/H , and was looking at various tyre manufacturers web sites and some say a unsold tyre with a date of up to 5years is considered to be "new" and then can be fitted and used for a further 5-7 years , it's a bit of a minefield 

Posted on 17/03/2019 18:13

Hi

So

The 5 year thing is really a guide, thing is to check the birth daye of each tyre. there'll be a date, probably on the inside sidewall in the form of week & year ie- 26 -18 is week 26 of 2018 etc. Nothing is set in stone. Check for hairline cracks in sidewall and in between treads. I take wheel off blow tyre up to maximum allowed pressure (on sidewall) then check treads again. 

There's one on each corner of the van and for the money it's far better to have peace of mind for your pride and joy. I used to be white van man in a boxer van and if driven as they were built for you'd get 25k on a set of tyres (3 sets per years). That's driving on the legal limits (yeah right). I changed my van tyres last year at 20k and 5 years old. 

JK

MichaelT replied on 18/03/2019 11:53

Posted on 17/03/2019 08:46 by JollyKernow

Morning

So some good advice from BB above, also don't forget you'd need to notify your insurance with regard a wheel change.

Why not take your van to your local tyre shop, they will freely check your rubber for safety to use, also check the age and let you know if you do need new rubber. Personally if new tyres are needed I'd put mid range van tyres on. Camper tyres have stiffer sidewalls but they are stupid money and in my opinion you only need them if a- you're loaded to the max orb- your van sits still for long periods.. You'll never wear out a tyre on a motorhome, it will deteriorate with age long before. I have regular van tyres on my van and they perform fine.

JK

Posted on 18/03/2019 11:53

Personally if new tyres are needed I'd put mid range van tyres on. Camper tyres have stiffer sidewalls but they are stupid money and in my opinion you only need them if a- you're loaded to the max orb- your van sits still for long periods.

I would suggest this is the majority of MH's and even if not loaded to the limit they are loaded 100% of the time and not full in the morning and empty at night like a normal white van.  Camper tyres were invented for a reason (not just to make more money) and are designed to be fully loaded all the time and stand about most of the time.  Even if the van is in use once you drive 4 hours to site it is sitting for the other 20  hours in a day!!

JollyKernow replied on 18/03/2019 13:40

Posted on 18/03/2019 11:53 by MichaelT

Personally if new tyres are needed I'd put mid range van tyres on. Camper tyres have stiffer sidewalls but they are stupid money and in my opinion you only need them if a- you're loaded to the max orb- your van sits still for long periods.

I would suggest this is the majority of MH's and even if not loaded to the limit they are loaded 100% of the time and not full in the morning and empty at night like a normal white van.  Camper tyres were invented for a reason (not just to make more money) and are designed to be fully loaded all the time and stand about most of the time.  Even if the van is in use once you drive 4 hours to site it is sitting for the other 20  hours in a day!!

Posted on 18/03/2019 13:40

But, if your van has the correct tyres fitted they will be able to accommodate it's maximum load, or am I looking at it wrong? Are you saying standard van tyres are not up to the job? A 3.5 ton van fully loaded is still a 3.5 ton van be it a van or a motorhome. Payloads for motorhomes are no greater than that of a van, hence my opinion above.foot-in-mouth

JK

MichaelT replied on 18/03/2019 13:57

Posted on 18/03/2019 13:40 by JollyKernow

But, if your van has the correct tyres fitted they will be able to accommodate it's maximum load, or am I looking at it wrong? Are you saying standard van tyres are not up to the job? A 3.5 ton van fully loaded is still a 3.5 ton van be it a van or a motorhome. Payloads for motorhomes are no greater than that of a van, hence my opinion above.foot-in-mouth

JK

Posted on 18/03/2019 13:57

Yes but a MH is fully loaded at 3.5t all the while it never goes down whereas a white van will.  Also a MH sits for long periods a white van does not so the tyres are rotating not having full weight on one part of the tyre all the time.

Are van tyres up to the job, probably if you don't mind the risk, but if they were why would tyre makers make MH tyres???

Why spend 50k + for a MH then skimp £20 on a tyre?

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook