XC90 Reviews

watto64 replied on 07/07/2022 06:20

Posted on 07/07/2022 06:20

Hello all,

Previous XC90 chat on here dates back almost 4 years so i am after some fresh comments on ownership for both solo and towing.

Our local dealer has a 2021 XC90 B5 Diesel for sale which they can retro fit the OEM towbar.  Its the Momentum model so sensible tyres/wheels, with additions such as winter/climate pack, 360 camera.

Any advice on this or other volvo models is appreciated..

replied on 07/07/2022 06:48

Posted on 07/07/2022 06:48

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

watto64 replied on 12/07/2022 06:50

Posted on 12/07/2022 06:50

Have purchased the XC90 and hopefully collect it in a few weeks when the OEM towbar arrives and has been fitted.

rich1ell replied on 18/08/2022 10:44

Posted on 18/08/2022 10:44

Bit late to the party.

Aug 2021 i bought my 2019 XC60 T8 Inscripton Pro.

I didnt have my B+E but the starrs aligned on this over the winter.

I Paid £1k for the delar fit electronic release towbar and its great, the Volvos have grea

I towed my old van with it once (empty for trade in) and with the new heavier van about 10 times now. I love the car, being the PHEV obviously a differernt power trian to you but that petrol motor has some real grunt lowdown and will out accelarete my solo old car while its towing the van. Avg around 22mpg towing and with PHEV solo around 45mpg.

Mine has the air suspension which is handy but not critical.

I feel some pitching when loaded and on rough roads can get ossolation (just keep the speed down) but cross wind buffetting or by passing lorries/highside vans is near zero. I always tow in AWD mode, but with the B5 you could leave it in normal mode.

I think you'll be happy, the XC90 is on the same basic floor plan as the XC60 but you get extra luggage room and additional seats.

Turning circle is a bit poor, and you might notice it more when parking or manuvering with the XC90, the 360 cams help with viewing the corners and when an OEM towbar is fitted you get the towbar 'aim' line. Oh and the towball is not painted so that saves a job :)

watto64 replied on 20/08/2022 21:41

Posted on 20/08/2022 21:41

rich1ell,

Picked up the XC90 on the 25th july, done around 800miles so far. 

We had our first 80 mile tow a few weeks ago on motorway and country lanes and was very pleased with its performance, towing mpg was 27mpg and getting better as the journey progressed, not bad pulling our elddis crusader. And as you say very stable.

On our regular 140miles solo round trip to see family we are getting 44+mpg

Not quite sure what the mild hybrid does apart from a seamless stop/start system.

The engine is more vocal than our santa fe in low gears wether solo or towing but once above 10-15mph it is very very quiet.

The 360 cameras have proved essential kit and the volvo app meant a cool car awaits on those hot days.

I have ordered some EMUK towing mirrors as the suck-it-and-see have limited movement due to the depth of the mirror frames

All in all very pleased with the car, and more importantly so is my partner...

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook