Width of towing mirrors

IanTG replied on 21/03/2021 00:48

Posted on 21/03/2021 00:48

I am aware of the legal dimensions of the area one is required to be able to see behind when towing a caravan, but is there a legal limit to the maximum width that towing mirrors can be?

I ask because I bought some BMW X5 brand-specific mirrors which are a perfect fit, no vibration, and easy on/off (they came from Germany). But they do seem wide, due to stems being long. I tow an 8’ wide van, but I estimate these mirrors give a width of 9’. That means I can see well behind, and I certainly know if the car will go through a gap, so will the van! 

But they do seem unnecessarily wide. Certainly seem wider than previous car & mirror combinations.

How wide are others? And is there a legal maximum?

richardandros replied on 21/03/2021 07:05

Posted on 21/03/2021 07:05

There is a good explanation of the law HERE, and, yes, there is a maximum amount the mirrors are allowed to protrude.  Whether or not anyone is ever going to check - unless you still have them on when driving solo - is another matter.

I also have an 8' wide van and tow with a VW Touareg and use Grand Aeros with the additional extension arm and whilst the nearside one is at maximum extension, the offside one isn't quite so far out whilst still giving a clear view down the offside of the van.  I find this is the best way of avoiding it getting knocked off!  I have also stuck 'dayglo' yellow tape to the mirror to make it very obvious to oncoming drivers.

cyberyacht replied on 21/03/2021 18:25

Posted on 21/03/2021 18:25

It was hire car in Gran Canaria. Dropped off the side of the tarmac and shredded the inside wall of the tyre. Changing a wheel in 38C is sweaty work. He missed my mirror though.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook