Who Do I Believe?

JohnM20 replied on 06/01/2022 14:36

Posted on 06/01/2022 14:36

My car is a 2015 Ford Mondeo with a Powershift auto gearbox. Following its last service the service department of the main dealer told me that the gearbox was due for a service at a cost of £295.00 which should be done every three years. In the three years since it was last done the car has only done 16,000 miles out of the total 54,000 on the clock. I thought that having another service at a relatively low mileage interval was a bit excessive so, at this stage I have declined to have the service done.. My car was collected and returned to my home and when I commented about the gearbox service to the driver (who used to be "on the tools" at the same dealership until he took partial retirement) said that if it was him he would leave it until next year and only then because I tow a caravan.

Any thoughts and comments from those that know about these things?

EmilysDad replied on 07/01/2022 11:53

Posted on 07/01/2022 11:53

It seems that Ford's Powershift has more than its share of problems at the best of times .... see video in auto vs manual thread  .... £300 against major gearbox problems might be cheap at half the price. 🤔 But I'd take the car to a recommended independent  rather than a main dealer.

Settermum replied on 25/01/2022 20:08

Posted on 25/01/2022 20:08

As a lifelong driver of Ford's including several Powershift, it is well known the problems that can occur with the gearbox if it isn't serviced promptly and regularly. The gearbox service is separate to the normal car service and isn't included in the regular service schedule. The advice is to service the Powershift box at 3 years or 37,500 miles whichever comes first and every 3 years or every 37,500 miles thereafter. The pre 2016 box is more fragile than the post 2016 but the advice is the same. The price you have been quoted is a very good price. Many pay near £400, so my advice would be get it done now because if it fails it's a £4000 bill for a new gearbox.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook