What Car? Tow car overall winner 2021

Extugger replied on 17/09/2021 06:34

Posted on 17/09/2021 06:34

No surprises….Kia Sorento 2.2 CRDi 3 DCT.

https://www.whatcar.com/awards/tow-car-awards

ChocolateTrees replied on 21/09/2021 17:47

Posted on 18/09/2021 10:28 by harry1000

Then what do you do, when you get the outfit onto site. Do any sites at all have a charging point? Seems you would need to plan to go out to a charging point and sit there for several hours whilst it recharged. Sounds like fun (not)..

Posted on 21/09/2021 17:47

As JVB said, charging on site is entirely viable. Usually when we get on site (EV or not) I am pretty much done for the day driving wise, and we have a meal in the van planned and brought from home, meaning no need to go anywhere. That means we can stick the car on charge via the EHU thru' the van, and add some extra range, ready for next day. We can get between 20 and 50 miles added depending on arrival time and the capacity of the EHU (10A or 16A). 

Then if we need it, stick the car on charge while out and about next day, or just leave it till we are back on site and charge again. So far it's worked great. 

kentman replied on 22/09/2021 22:44

Posted on 22/09/2021 22:44

We have just returned from Cornwall (326 miles). If we were towing with an ev, that would have entailed at least 3 charging stops. Unless battery range improves drastically,  my first electric car will mark the end of our caravanning.

I have recently read some interesting technical articles which show very clearly that the additional environmental impact of manufacturing an electric car means that it has to be driven for many years before it is better for the environment than an ice car. In fact the most environmentally friendly thing we can do is hang on to our existing cars until thay are no longer viable.  The pollution from them will never equal the environmental pact of manufacturing a new electric car. 

eribaMotters replied on 23/09/2021 17:52

Posted on 23/09/2021 17:52

JVB66. 

I've phoned Hyundi about the Ioniq 5 asking about what the chances are they would be making one available to the press for testing with a caravan. I got nowhere, so e-mail instead at their request. I had an initial acknowledgement and now 3 or 4 weeks later still nothing.

Am I to assume they are not interested in caravan owners and the potential market they are missing?

Colin

ChocolateTrees replied on 24/09/2021 10:38

Posted on 22/09/2021 22:44 by kentman

We have just returned from Cornwall (326 miles). If we were towing with an ev, that would have entailed at least 3 charging stops. Unless battery range improves drastically,  my first electric car will mark the end of our caravanning.

I have recently read some interesting technical articles which show very clearly that the additional environmental impact of manufacturing an electric car means that it has to be driven for many years before it is better for the environment than an ice car. In fact the most environmentally friendly thing we can do is hang on to our existing cars until thay are no longer viable.  The pollution from them will never equal the environmental pact of manufacturing a new electric car. 

Posted on 24/09/2021 10:38

"We have just returned from Cornwall (326 miles). If we were towing with an ev, that would have entailed at least 3 charging stops. Unless battery range improves drastically,  my first electric car will mark the end of our caravanning."

That depends on the car. My Polestar 2 - you could just about do it in 2 stops, but would require recharging to almost 100% on each stop, which would be time prohibiting. Better to do in 3. The Ioniq 5 or EV6, I suspect would do it in 2 stops comfortably, with only 20 to 25 mins charging at each stop (given the right charger). Given that that is easily a six hour journey, having two stops would be sensible and necessary for me (not just my car). 

"I have recently read some interesting technical articles which show very clearly that the additional environmental impact of manufacturing an electric car means that it has to be driven for many years before it is better for the environment than an ice car. In fact the most environmentally friendly thing we can do is hang on to our existing cars until thay are no longer viable. The pollution from them will never equal the environmental pact of manufacturing a new electric car."

It's true that today, manufacturing an EV battery pack adds to the carbon cost of a car. But given the Euro electricity carbon mix, it takes about 50K miles to break even. That drops to 30K miles if using a green (wind or solar) electricity. 

https://www.polestar.com/dato-assets/11286/1600176185-20200915polestarlcafinala.pdf

But it's also true that over a life of 120k miles (200,000 kilometres) an ICE car can release as around as 3 times the carbon emissions in fuel, as are consumed in the materials sourcing and manufacture.  That is to say, for every 80,000k miles driven, an ICE car will release as much carbon in tail pipe emissions alone as are used in producing a new EV. 

So - when buying a new car, it's undeniable that over its life cycle (which is likely to be far longer that 120K miles) a BEV will have a lower carbon footprint.  

And when considering running an existing car for longer to minimise the emissions of production, its worth considering how far it will be driven and just how poor the emissions are. 20 year old combustion engine cars cars are far less efficient and more impactful to the environment than 2021 cars, and so will have a greater impact over a shorter period. 

eribaMotters replied on 24/09/2021 22:36

Posted on 24/09/2021 22:36

Two points. 

Firstly, anybody who has driven the 1.5 petrol engine in the tow car of the year will know why it gained the award. For pulling a small van it's a peach.

Secondly, the electric dream is a mile off for all but a very lucky few who can afford the high cost of a suitable towcar, the extra time it will take to complete the shorter journey and are laid back enough to cope with the stress inducing range anxiety.

There any many of us who want or need to do a 300 mile tow (I can get nearer 400 miles if I needed through my choice of a smaller van) without the need to search and stop for an extended recharge, when what I require is a toilet break, drink and stretch of legs every 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

Whilst a few cars are starting to make headway on possible range, the infrastructure does not exist for the majority of caravan owners to complete a tow of reasonable distance within a reasonable time. 

As much as I would like to do my bit and go electric, it's one big pipe dream at the present. 

Colin

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook