VW Tiguan Haldex 4wd unit rear axle

spider replied on 17/03/2018 11:37

Posted on 17/03/2018 11:37

Vehicle has had 3 Haldex pumps in 3.5 years average mileage per pump 5314miles.Is this normal? or is VW repairing under warranty at the lowest possible cost without getting to the cause of the problem.Is it the way I drive ? Its a good thing that when I bought it I paid to extend  the warranty to 5 years.

Philosifer replied on 06/05/2018 15:33

Posted on 06/05/2018 15:33

Its almost certainly due to a clogged filter. The Golf R i used to have had the same issue. There's a filter on Mk4 Haldex that the mk1 tiguan uses but VW/Audi deny it even exists. Land Rover and Volvo recommend a regular change. Check out https://www.haldexrepairs.co.uk/guide-generation-4-haldex-trouble-shooting/

If the filter is clogged up and not replaced then a new pump will burn out in a much shorted time.

I think possibly the facelifted Mk1's moved to the Gen 5 haldex when the Mk7 golf came out so later ones might be clear of the issue.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook