VW T5 Kombi - 102 or 130/140 Best for Towing?

G7KNA replied on 05/03/2013 20:51

Posted on 05/03/2013 20:51

I am considering a VW T5/T5.1 Kombi as our next vehicle.

Engine choice is a bit of a puzzle so if anyone out there has any first hand experience I would be grateful for any advice.

In the T5 pre facelift (2003-2009) either a 1.9l 4cyl 102 or a 2.5l 5cyl 130.  In the T5.1 post facelift (2010 onwards) either a 2.0l 4cyl 102 or a 2.0l 4cyl 140.

On paper the 102 is the most economical in both cases based on the official figures, although the differences are not that great other than in the urban cycle.

When towing though I would have expected the higher powered engines to be more efficient so if any one has first hand experience of any of these 4 engines please let me know what sort of real world performance and fuel comsumption you are achieving.

Thanks

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook