VW Sharan VS Ford Galaxy

MarkTravers replied on 25/09/2017 19:19

Posted on 25/09/2017 19:19

I am in market for a new car, I need one that has plenty of room for transporting long objects safely, and if need be the family can go in 1 car instead of 2 for meals.

From experience and looking around both the VW and Ford meet all the criteria, but I havent seen much in the reviews for the Sharan for towing, i saw an old review from 2011 about the 140Bhp version but was week on towing, this was the Mk1 and i am looking at the new MkII (2014) model.

Has anyone any experience with these cars for towing and in general?

I am towing a Swift Charisma 540 (4 Berth) at the moment weighing in at about 1300Kg.

Both cars will say they do it but as we all know there is doing it and doing it with ease.

Any advise and experiences welcome.

GodivaNige replied on 25/09/2017 23:08

Posted on 25/09/2017 23:08

Can’t comment on towing ability but a couple of years ago, me and 5 mates hired a Sharon for a trip to Le Mans for the 24hrs.

Very impressed with it, a superb mile muncher and very comfortable despite 6 slightly overgrown blokes plus all of our kit. It never missed a beat and being a hire car, it wasn’t exactly treated with the utmost respect. If I had a family and needed a MPV, I’d be happy to consider buying one.

Phishing replied on 25/09/2017 23:36

Posted on 25/09/2017 23:36

Towed with both and you are splitting hairs. Both for me were 2.0 Auto  (DSG or Powershift) and both pulled very well and were stable. They are direct competitors and so are very similar in spec. Practical caravan has a detailed review of the Sharan in the October edition, very good write up. I pulled a Bailey at about 1400kg, no issues.

Only thing that was not good was the ford did not come with a spare wheel (of space for it), cant remember if the VW did.

Cornersteady replied on 27/09/2017 14:21

Posted on 26/09/2017 07:30 by cyberyacht

You could always consider the Seat Alhambra, a Spanish speaking Galaxy.

Posted on 27/09/2017 14:21

Yes fully agree, it has VW engine and all the parts have VW stamped on them, usually much cheaper too.

We have had two and our last Alhambra towed extremely well (our van was then 1400Kg) and made over 100,000 miles before we changed.

PS changed make due to needing a heavier towcar for future proofing in case of TA.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook