VW Passat verse Tiguan

commeyras replied on 25/09/2020 08:57

Posted on 25/09/2020 08:57

I used to tow my Bailey Ranger 520/4 Series 6 1326 MTPL with a 2009 Passat 2ltr, I then bought a 2014 2 ltr Tiguan and last year a new 2 ltr Tiguan all the cars diesels and DSG.  My first Tig had 4 wheel drive my new one doesn't and I really have not noticed any difference but I have not yet tried to get out of a sloping wet pitch!.  All the cars have been trouble free.

With all the cars I have towed all over Europe although not so as much with my new car!  All have been excellent tow cars pulling the caravan over the Alps with ease.  However, on balance I think the Tig is a better tow car,  with it's firmer suspension it is more stable, I used to get a little pitching with the Passat despite running at max nose weight with no heavy items at the rear of the caravan, I do not get any with the Tig.  I think the pitching was as a result of the softer suspension and long rear overhang of the Passat. If there are only 2 of you, in the Tig you can put the rear seats down giving a large loading space.  I can easily get the awning, Waste master, and Aqua Roll in with plenty of room to spare.  Loading the Tig is much easier than the Passat, although it has a very large boot,  the access is smallish and over a raised lip.

For day to day use the Passat was the more comfortable and more economical although it is a little larger  The Passat used to be advertised as a comfortable long distance motorway cruiser and I would agree with that.  Being a SUV it easier for passenger to get into/out of the Tig than the Passat. The Tig has a firm suspension and more harder seats than the Passat.  Whilst they both give about 30 - 32 mpg towing I would get top 50s mpg solo with the Passat on a long run whilst I get mid 40's with the Tig.

So there you have it.  I bought the Tigs primarily for their towing ability.  I have no experience of the Octavia but isn't it really a Passat in disguise?

EmilysDad replied on 25/09/2020 10:22

Posted on 25/09/2020 10:22

@comeyras .... My first Tig had 4 wheel drive my new one doesn't and I really have not noticed any difference but ....

Isn't the Tiguan a 'slip & grip' set up for its 4x4? 🤔 If the 1st car had never been in the situation where it needed to engage its 4 wheel drive that's probably why you've not noticed any difference between the two cars. 

flatcoat replied on 26/09/2020 17:51

Posted on 26/09/2020 17:51

I went through this process myself about 4 years ago albeit i had the Superb in the mix. Ended up with a Passatt Alltrack which has 4wd on demand but the DSG version with the 177bhp engine. Has much bigger boot than a Tiguan and plenty of towing weight capacity to spare if you upgrade your caravan. 

flatcoat replied on 26/09/2020 17:56

Posted on 26/09/2020 17:56

Forgot to add i towed a t/a caravan with 1800mtplm all over Europe in 4 years and 70,000 miles of ownership on top of the 45k miles when i bought it. Very reliable and economical however i wanted more gadgets and power so changed it earlier this year. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook