VW Passat Estate

Fysherman replied on 04/10/2017 12:01

Posted on 04/10/2017 12:01

Just starting to look around for my next towcar and I do like the good old Passat Estate.

One thing I am wondering, how can a factory towbar have the right height and bumper clearance between all the different models?

I am looking at an Alltrack or a Twin Turbo (or even the new TSI petrol)  that all have totally different tyre ratios and bumpers from other models (and probably each other). There is no mention of alternative factory fit tow bars. I am not interested in an aftermarket fitted tow bar by the way.

Didn't have this problem with my Freelander with stacks of clearance but the obvious replacement (Disco Sport) I am not very keen on. 

lornalou1 replied on 04/10/2017 15:21

Posted on 04/10/2017 15:21

I don't think when it says factory fitted tow bar that they are all the same. they, like 3rd party bars will be manufactured for each individual model.

birderbilly replied on 04/10/2017 23:28

Posted on 04/10/2017 15:21 by lornalou1

I don't think when it says factory fitted tow bar that they are all the same. they, like 3rd party bars will be manufactured for each individual model.

Posted on 04/10/2017 23:28

I wouldn't bet on it !  

Worst thing about our Alltrack is the clearance between bumper and tow ball, it only just complies with Alko clearance requirements and tow ball is about 40mm higher than on non Alltrack models due to higher ride height.  They make great tow cars and the electric factory fit tow bar is very easy to deploy etc but in use it is not it's best feature and hitching up without a mover would be very tricky.

Should add that we had a Freelander 2 before the VW, overall the VW is a better tow car but hitching up was alot easier with the Freelander.

Fysherman replied on 05/10/2017 11:39

Posted on 05/10/2017 11:39

That's exactly my concern BB.

I have been told the are all the same bar across the range and that's just not going to work. I don't want to chance pot luck to having a level stable caravan.

I suppose this affects most other cars ranges as well. Cannot understand why this is not all over the various forums.

birderbilly replied on 05/10/2017 12:39

Posted on 05/10/2017 11:39 by Fysherman

That's exactly my concern BB.

I have been told the are all the same bar across the range and that's just not going to work. I don't want to chance pot luck to having a level stable caravan.

I suppose this affects most other cars ranges as well. Cannot understand why this is not all over the various forums.

Posted on 05/10/2017 12:39

My advice to you would be to find a car that has the tow bar fitted and give it a good measure and compare with your current steed.  In our case the extra height of the ball means that our van tows level as opposed to slightly nose down as it was with the Freelander. It does tow very well and is very stable partly due to the long wheelbase of the Passat.  The tow ball clearance to bumper just means that you need to be careful but I would say that I what not want to hitch up without a mover as the clearance is just too tight.

As with all tow cars there is a compromise, in every other aspect the Passat is an excellent car with huge load lugging capacity (unlike the Freelander) and much better economy, especially solo. FWIW the only car (at a sensible price) I would consider changing it for would be the new Skoda Kodiak which looks very interesting. 

flatcoat replied on 05/10/2017 14:41

Posted on 05/10/2017 14:41

We tow with a previous generation Alltrack with DSG and with a Westphalia detachable tow bar. Yes, clearance is cosy but a small compromise given the other advantages. We had an FL2 for a short while which in most ways was a far better tow car, however build, trim and material quality was not remotely upto VW standards and at 70k miles it looked and felt like it had done 170k miles. Reliability wasn’t great either albeit economy wasn’t much different to the Audi which followed and the Alltrack. All around low/mid 20’s towing and low 40’s solo. I agree about the Kodiaq, providing the noseweight is high enough. However if solo economy wasn’t part of the consideration I would really like a Touareg! 

Fysherman replied on 06/10/2017 11:38

Posted on 06/10/2017 11:38

My sincere thanks to those who have replied.

I will continue my research, no great rush to buy something else yet, just fancy a change. 

I have had lots of Passats (last one a 2 lit TSI) as company cars and would be happy with another now I am spending my own money. I am fortunate to be able to have a car for the exclusive uses of Fyshing and towing so everything else is of secondary concern..

My particular FL is one of the very last to be produced so has the excellent Ford engine (Ford Mondeo 2.2) and very good build quality. Well up to anything else I have driven (I drove a lot of different cars when working)To date, reliability had been 100%.

I did look briefly at the Kodiac but a noseweight limit of 75kg (according to the CC) is way too low for a serious towcar (IMHO).

Thanks again

Metheven replied on 06/10/2017 11:56

Posted on 06/10/2017 11:56

Still not decided 'Fysh', me neither so after 4 years of trouble free I'm hanging on to it for another year. Just nothing out there that takes my fancy at the moment and tick all the towing boxes, but still being badgered by LR dealer to take an interest in the mundane DS.

Good luck in your search smile

Fysherman replied on 06/10/2017 14:14

Posted on 06/10/2017 14:14

Hiya Dave, How you doing mate?

Yes its a surprising problem to have. I really fancy that new (ish) Bi Turbo Passat estate (largely to get more Fyshing kit inside) but if there is only a few mm of clearance they can forget it. I am old school and despite having a mover to get onto those French pitches with a Tree (you've seen 'em) in the middle, I like to hitch up with the car and reverse it into place. When I cannot do that I will buy a Tent (or a motorhome)

I totally agree, the DS just is not a patch on the later FL and not that wonderful to drive (in my opinion) either. Not tried the 240 bhp one yet though. The useless LR dealer also told me it was impossible to have a factory tow bar and a spare wheel on a DS so I told him to go and look at a 5 seater then come back when he has a bit more product knowledge. Where do they get these people from? £40 grand car and the guy selling it hasn't a clue. It's not good is it?

Might have a run over to Harrogate and have a look at an F-Pace (I know it's a DS with a Jag badge on but I am going to end up keeping the FL2 at this rate. Like you just fancy a change

Randomcamper replied on 06/10/2017 15:59

Posted on 06/10/2017 15:59

Just starting to look around for my next towcar and I do like the good old Passat Estate.

One thing I am wondering, how can a factory towbar have the right height and bumper clearance between all the different models?

I think you are right to be worried about this......

We used to tow a Compass Corona 505 behind a Passat 2.0TDi SE Estate. The tow ball height was too low and the van was very nose down even before we loaded the car or van. I could see no way to rectify the situation so ended up trading the Passat for a Disco.

I would look into it carefully, mistakes, as I found out, are expensive.

Fysherman replied on 06/10/2017 16:32

Posted on 06/10/2017 15:59 by Randomcamper

I think you are right to be worried about this......

We used to tow a Compass Corona 505 behind a Passat 2.0TDi SE Estate. The tow ball height was too low and the van was very nose down even before we loaded the car or van. I could see no way to rectify the situation so ended up trading the Passat for a Disco.

I would look into it carefully, mistakes, as I found out, are expensive.

Posted on 06/10/2017 16:32

Good advice TT.

I was going to take the plunge in a few weeks but I am going now to think about it at least until the new registration's come out in March.

I am also going to have a look round every campsite I visit over winter and take notice what others are using and what clearance / height they are towing with.

Flatcoat

I have looked at the Touareg (my neighbour had one) and I do like it

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook