VW Passat Est Tow Bar issues

Ray55 replied on 14/03/2017 09:22

Posted on 14/03/2017 09:22

Hello, I am presently looking into buying a used VW Passat Estate. Probably a 2015 plate.

I have been reading some reports advising of issues with the fitting of towball . Factory fitted one too close to the car. ( Detachable or out of sight fitted ) Also if do not have a VW set up it invalidates any warranty.

The other issue was that non VW recommended fitted tow bars means that the Trailer Stability Programme (TSP) will not operate. 

Most of the reports I have seen were posted about 2014. I wondered if problems still exist on the B8 models 2015 onwards ?

Ray

mbee1 replied on 14/03/2017 10:22

Posted on 14/03/2017 10:22

I have the factory fitted swivelling towbar on a 2016 Passat Alltrack and have no issues.  In fact it's a dream!  I thought that you only got TSP if you have the factory fitted towbar?

Tarmyn replied on 14/03/2017 13:00

Posted on 14/03/2017 13:00

Likewise we have a 2016 Passat Alltrack with factory fitted swivel tow bar no problems .Had a 2013 Passat est previous with a after market tow bar fitted again no problems ,One thing for sure is that there are expensive for new model cars due to the electrics,fortunately present car came with tow bar fitted .

mazvw42 replied on 14/03/2017 13:27

Posted on 14/03/2017 13:27

I have a 2015 VW Tiguan with that VW towball, it's the type where you remove part of the bumper and pull a cord in the boot, the towball then swivels out from under the bumper and locks into place. 

I also thought the ball was far too close to the bumper, but got a tow bar fitter to look at it who said it was just at the legal distance (if there is such a thing).  I don't recall what the measurement was, but the distance I measured is more or less exactly at that minimum .  It does works well and is hidden away, but you have to be very careful when hitching up etc.   Oh, and my TSP works fine

MHG replied on 14/03/2017 16:10

Posted on 14/03/2017 16:10

I have a little story to tell on this one....

I have an 65 Audi A4 Avant and i went for the factory-fit tow bar.

Now this is a Westfalia detachable swan neck bar and upon hooking it on for the first time - the tow-ball sat VERY close to the car. I could only just get the Alko hitch on with literally 5-8mm clearance behind. We couldn't actually turn any corners with the van on!

This is an Issue with A4 S-Line trims as Audi's sports bumpers have a contour detail on them - which makes them sit closer to the tow bar. 

Fast-foward and It did all get resolved !! Hurrah !!

Look for a bar with a long reach.

One thing also to watch our for is that with Audi, not all the pins are live. If you want to run your fridge - this costs extra!

Ray55 replied on 15/03/2017 18:41

Posted on 14/03/2017 10:22 by mbee1

I have the factory fitted swivelling towbar on a 2016 Passat Alltrack and have no issues.  In fact it's a dream!  I thought that you only got TSP if you have the factory fitted towbar?

Posted on 15/03/2017 18:41

Thanks. I have read that you can get the TSP with non factory fitted bars but it requires some type of special electrics box. To be honest I think I would go to a dealer to sort it all if I can't get a used car with one fitted.

Wildwood replied on 16/03/2017 20:59

Posted on 16/03/2017 20:59

VW towbars may be the minimum standards required by law and not compatible with ALKO hitches or have the additional wiring for the caravan. If you order from a dealer you need to put in writing your exact requirements to be sure, most independent fitters will know what to ask to get it right but dealers often do not.

You can also get a deal on Witter and Brink tow bars as a club member so worth looking at.

SwiftQuattro replied on 31/10/2017 19:35

Posted on 31/10/2017 19:35

@ MHG

Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

We are currently having issues with tow bar clearance (from bumper to tow ball centre) with a 2015 Audi S4 and an Alko 3004 Hitch.

Like member MHG our hitch will not articulate without rubbing the bumper.

Glad to hear you got it all sorted, just wondered what the solution was in the end that meant it got resolved?

Many thanks.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook