VW Passat DSG

gcp replied on 02/03/2018 17:03

Posted on 02/03/2018 17:03

I'm thinking of changing my 2012 manual Passat for a newer model.

There's a lot of DSG's (Dual Shift Gearbox) about and the general consensus seems to be that they're good for towing.

Does anyone who has one also regularly drive a manual car? 

I regularly switch between the Passat and a manual Polo and I'm not sure how easy that will be with one DSG car and one manual one. Does your mind immediately know what to do depending on which wheel you're sat behind? - Or are you constantly jabbing at a clutch that isn't there in the DSG, & 'forgetting' to change gear in the manual one?

EmilysDad replied on 02/03/2018 18:14

Posted on 02/03/2018 18:14

In the past I have regularly swapped between 2 & 3 pedals. Occasionally you might be waiting for your manual to change till you remember you've to do it yourself, but on the whole, you do remember what you're driving. My daughter often drives her Mum's auto instead of her manual.

I'd always choose a conventional torque converter auto.

replied on 02/03/2018 19:21

Posted on 02/03/2018 19:21

I drive a manual Passat 2016 model 190 BHP and find it a very good tow car as well as driving solo, I have tried the four wheel drive DSG model in a test drive very nice but I am afraid it was out of my price range. If you go to your dealer they will be more than happy for you to take a test drive. The garage I dealt with the sales person did not bother to come with me on the test drive and told me to go away for a couple of hours if I wished, never had that before.  

commeyras replied on 02/03/2018 19:43

Posted on 02/03/2018 19:43

Although I do not have a manual car I did have a DSG Passat before my DSG Tiguan.  The Passat was an excellent tow car as is the Tiguan.  I had, and have, no difficulty switching to a manual these days when necessary; 'muscle memory' switches in without a problem.

flatcoat replied on 04/03/2018 19:43

Posted on 04/03/2018 19:43

I have driven my 2013 Passat Alltrack DSG for almost 2 years and 35k miles and in amongst driven a manual Audi A2, both diesels. Have towed about 7k miles in the Passat. I wouldnt willingly go back to a manual for towing, just make sure the DSG box is serviced as required. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook