Volvo VLM issues?

flatcoat replied on 18/06/2020 07:52

Posted on 18/06/2020 07:52

I am In the (very) fortunate position of changing my car and caravan next week. The car (long planned) will be a used Volvo hybrid with LED lighting and the caravan a Swift with LED tail lights. Has anyone a similar (ie Volvo/Swift) outfit that can advise on any lighting compatibility issues? I am trying to pre-empt any problems. 

lornalou1 replied on 18/06/2020 11:30

Posted on 18/06/2020 11:30

I would wait and see as you cannot use van yet so gives you time if any problems crop up. Will the vehicle have a towbar fitted or do you intend to get an aftermarket one. just make sure all the power is supplied at the socket for fridge and atc but you will already know that. sealed

flatcoat replied on 18/06/2020 14:00

Posted on 18/06/2020 14:00

I have picked up some info from a Volvo forum, it seems unlikely there will be an issue. If there is I will possibly need a VLM6 module - car comes without towbar so is due for sitting next week, using a vehicle specific wiring loom. Yes, aware of wiring issues!

Stewart P replied on 18/06/2020 14:37

Posted on 18/06/2020 14:37

Hi flatcoat,

When we bought a new Swift caravan in 2016 we found that our Freelander tow car did not seem to recognise when the caravan was hitched and although the lights etc all worked, the rear parking sensors were not disabled and the trailer indicator in the car instrument pod didn't work when the caravan was hitched up. I contacted Swift who referred me to Sargent who supply electrical systems to Swift. Their technical department were very helpful and said the problem was that the low loading from modern LED lights meant that they were not being picked up by the car's system. I gave them the model and year of car together with the caravan serial number and they confirmed which VFM of the two they manufactured I needed. (I am pretty sure that all it does is increase the load so the car knows the caravan is hitched). It was very easy to fit, I just had to disconnect two connections in the fusebox and connect the VFM unit in parallel. They provided all instructions and no problems since! The unit at the time was less than £40 delivered.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook