Vauxhall Insignia Estate what tow bar to fit

ellie2761 replied on 08/05/2018 21:13

Posted on 08/05/2018 21:13

I am taking delivery of a 2016 Vauxhall Insignia Sports Tourer Estate and would like some advice on what tow bar to get.

I am pulling a Swift Challenger 2003 and it has an old style al-ko hitch on it (the one with the two metal shafted friction pads).

On my last car I had a brand new tow bar and electrics fitted but the hitch was too close to the car for my liking. It was a swan neck detachable from PF Jones.

I would still like to go down the detachable route but don't want to make the same mistake.

Can anyone offer any advice or would I be better changing the hitch for a more modern one?

And if changing the hitch can anyone recommend one that has better clearance?

Thanks in advance.

MHG replied on 09/05/2018 12:07

Posted on 09/05/2018 12:07

We had a similar situation with our Audi A4 Avant. The Audi detachable swan neck tow-bar (a Westfalia model) does not give enough clearance off our style of rear bumper for the Alko Stabiliser - literally around 5mm! We went for a detachable swan neck from Tow-Trust which had a longer reach and problem solved. Our previous car was a Volvo V50 estate which also had a detachable tow bar. This one though was a horizontally mounted bar – rather than one that attached from underneath. Comparing the two, the horizontal one had a better reach on the neck, but was not 100% hidden when not in use – it had a plastic cover plate. Our van has the AKS3004 hitch, I am not sure how easy they are to change I afraid.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook