TyrePal signal booster

Ian Wright replied on 13/06/2020 13:26

Posted on 13/06/2020 13:26

Hi, I have purchased a set of 4 tyrepal sensors and a signal booster for my twin axle caravan. I was wondering if any members had located the signal booster at the front of the caravan rather than at the back of the car as suggested by TyrePal? It would still have a 12v supply, albeit from the caravan rather than the car, so I can’t foresee any reason why it wouldn’t work. Positioning it would be straightforward, either in the front locker or under the floor of the caravan. I am confident with the wiring aspect of the work, but I am reluctant to do any wiring within the car as it’s brand new, and this therefore seems a better option? Grateful for any advice. Regards Ian, West Yorkshire 

stephen p replied on 13/06/2020 14:19

Posted on 13/06/2020 14:19

Which system are you using? I have always used Tyrepal systems (currently the TC215 with 4 sensors) on my caravans, including my current TA, and never needed a booster.

If you are sure you need one, and in answer to your question I would certainly put it in the front of the caravan, it would roughly halve the range needed for the sensors,  wiring is certainly much easier there, perhaps plug it into a 12V socket as a trial before you mount it permanently.

Ian Wright replied on 13/06/2020 17:07

Posted on 13/06/2020 17:07

Hi Stephen, thanks for the reply. Yes it’s the TC215B system the same as yours . I went by the guidance from TyrePal and purchased the signal booster as it’s over 8m from the wheels to the dashboard. Good to hear it may not be needed but I may as well fit it now as I have purchased it. I’ll do as you suggest and trial it before permanently fixing it at the front of the caravan. Cheers Ian 

Lamplighter replied on 13/06/2020 22:08

Posted on 13/06/2020 22:08

Hi,

I fitted the TyrePal signal booster to the underfloor of my caravan.  I wired it in to the 12v supply from the 13 pin plug so it was only on when plugged in to the car.

Dave

richardandros replied on 14/06/2020 06:06

Posted on 14/06/2020 06:06

Ian - I'd be surprised if you need the booster.  I tow a 8.1m long Knaus behind a VW Touareg and the van has a longer A-frame than UK vans.  The rearmost wheels are about 8m from the dashboard and the Tyrepal system works perfectly without the booster. I did think I was going to need it, but in practice, I don't.

ocsid replied on 14/06/2020 08:37

Posted on 14/06/2020 08:37

I am as others not requiring the booster, despite a wheel to monitor range greater than Tyrepals guidence figure, so would initially explore if the wiring up of the booster is warranted. My case a Disco towing a long German Hymer SA, again with a very long "A" frame. Even where my Tyrepal is a basic TB99, never intended for use with a trailer, but it works.

What I did find was my original centre of dash location for the monitor did result in "drop outs" of the signal. The display was always there when I got into the driving seat  leaving home having motormoved the van to the car, it just dropped out and back one channel into the trip. Clealy struggling.

The "penny dropped" it was the radio signal screening of my body causing that was, the issue here, not being in the seat it worked, being there could cause it to fail. This was very simply cured, move the monitor to far end of dash, drivers side.

If the boost is needed, surely putting it in the boot where most vehicles have a prewired and switched 12 V DC outlet, is less hassle than wiring it up for use in the van? In my case if in the van it would need to be in the gas locker, safety wise a real no no.rly

Ian Wright replied on 15/06/2020 00:33

Posted on 15/06/2020 00:33

Hi all, many thanks for all your advice, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. I will initially give it a go without the booster to see if it works but if not I will look at the options. I guess the easiest would be to plug the booster into the 12v socket in the boot as suggested but the downside of that is that on longer journeys I have my 12v cooler box plugged in to keep my beer cold 😊. Good point regarding not fitting it in the front locker with the LPG, so under the caravan floor would be better and I’ll look into how to pick up a suitable supply. Thanks again, Ian 

stephen p replied on 16/06/2020 11:59

Posted on 16/06/2020 11:59

A point to remember is that the booster has the same sensitivity of receiver as in the dashboard unit so shutting it away in a boot may not be the best idea.

What the booster does do is transmit probably 10 times more powerfully (3 times the range)  than the battery operated wheel sensors so it makes more sense to put the booster closer to the wheels i.e. in the caravan.

If ever I need one, I would put it in the locker under the front seat and wire it into the marker light wiring.

stephen p replied on 21/06/2020 12:01

Posted on 13/06/2020 14:19 by stephen p

Which system are you using? I have always used Tyrepal systems (currently the TC215 with 4 sensors) on my caravans, including my current TA, and never needed a booster.

If you are sure you need one, and in answer to your question I would certainly put it in the front of the caravan, it would roughly halve the range needed for the sensors,  wiring is certainly much easier there, perhaps plug it into a 12V socket as a trial before you mount it permanently.

Posted on 21/06/2020 12:01

Spoke too soon.

Quick run round the block yesterday, a systems shake down for the first time my Touareg has towed my caravan. And guess what, no signal from the rear Tyrepal sensors.

So I am about to put my booster suggestions into action.

richardandros replied on 21/06/2020 12:39

Posted on 21/06/2020 12:01 by stephen p

Spoke too soon.

Quick run round the block yesterday, a systems shake down for the first time my Touareg has towed my caravan. And guess what, no signal from the rear Tyrepal sensors.

So I am about to put my booster suggestions into action.

Posted on 21/06/2020 12:39

Stephen - although fitting the booster is no big deal, I suppose - I didn't realise from your previous posts that you also had a Treg.  I don't know what your van is, but I doubt that the wheels are further away than they are with my rig - with the van having an extra long A-frame.  I am really surprised that the sensors are not working - especially as our van also has an aluminium clad body which might also help to block any signal.

I just wondered if you were absolutely certain that the rear sensors had actually registered properly with the monitor before doing your test drive.

The other thing I have noticed is that if I forget to switch the monitor on before setting off - and then switch it on whilst on the move, it does take a while for it to pick up all the signals from the sensors.

Edit - apologies - getting you confused with Ian - therefore para 2 probably doesn't apply!

stephen p replied on 22/06/2020 21:26

Posted on 21/06/2020 12:39 by richardandros

Stephen - although fitting the booster is no big deal, I suppose - I didn't realise from your previous posts that you also had a Treg.  I don't know what your van is, but I doubt that the wheels are further away than they are with my rig - with the van having an extra long A-frame.  I am really surprised that the sensors are not working - especially as our van also has an aluminium clad body which might also help to block any signal.

I just wondered if you were absolutely certain that the rear sensors had actually registered properly with the monitor before doing your test drive.

The other thing I have noticed is that if I forget to switch the monitor on before setting off - and then switch it on whilst on the move, it does take a while for it to pick up all the signals from the sensors.

Edit - apologies - getting you confused with Ian - therefore para 2 probably doesn't apply!

Posted on 22/06/2020 21:26

I must say I was not expecting problems, I have used Tyrepal systems very successfully on several outfits.

Our van is an Elddis Crusader Storm 5m from rear axle to tow ball. The Treg is then a further 3m to the windscreen where I have used the suction mount provided with the unit, this puts it in line with all the door pillars in the car. On my previous car (Merc GLC) the unit was mounted (using the sticky pad provided) to the front of the dashboard this put it in line with the rear windscreen. The unit in the Treg is also marginally further away.

I stopped in a lay-by on the A1 on my test drive and swapped sensors by axle front-rear and the rear sensors (now on the front) called in OK.  It is just a combination of small things that make the difference and I have just gone beyond the critical point. By the time I had got back home I did get a value from the rear left, so I reckon right on the limit.

Certainly turn the detector on before moving off, I think the sensors transmit quite a few times in quick succession when they detect wheels rolling and after that they seem to just call in about every 10 minutes or so, unless they detect a problem of course.

I have the TPMS mentioned in my insurance so I need to make sure it is working reliably, I have ordered a booster I will keep you posted.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook