Tyre Repair Sealant

JohnM20 replied on 25/02/2020 11:23

Posted on 25/02/2020 11:23

I have no experience of using tyre repair sealant but need some advice for a friend. The friend's daughter had a puncture several months ago and it was repaired with sealant on the roadside. Since then she has done nothing about getting the tyre properly repaired despite concerned  reminders from her parents, (she has usually got a very young child and dog in the car with her). The only answer they get is that her husband, who knows nothing about cars and only very recently learned to drive, keeps telling her it will be alright. Personally I think it should have been properly repaired but who is right?. 

Metheven replied on 25/02/2020 11:29

Posted on 25/02/2020 11:29

The parents, and divorce the husband.

Though I have never had to use my sealant, if I did then in my eyes it is only a temporary repair, and if legally repairable I would get it done properly ASAP or replace the tyre if a repair cannot be done.

Some tyre outlets will repair a sealant tyre and some won't, but it is well known as only a temporary fix.

replied on 25/02/2020 11:39

Posted on 25/02/2020 11:39

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

SteveL replied on 25/02/2020 12:01

Posted on 25/02/2020 12:01

From the AA website

Post-puncture sealants

With these, the hope is that you’ve spotted a puncture and stopped before the tyre has overheated or become shredded to pieces on the wheel rim.

The sealant is injected through the tyre valve and the compressor or cylinder of compressed gas is used to (hopefully) re-inflate the tyre.
Handy if you regularly drive alone, but won’t work for all punctures.

Permanent or temporary?

Whatever type of sealant you use, it can’t be considered a permanent repair because the tyre’s not been taken off the wheel to check for internal damage.

As well as laying down the size and location of damage that can be repaired, the British standard specifies the materials and methods that must be used to make a permanent repair, and includes the statement: "use of liquid tyre sealants does not meet these criteria and hence cannot be considered suitable as a permanent repair."

Cornersteady replied on 25/02/2020 12:14

Posted on 25/02/2020 12:14

As above I always believed it was a temporary repair.

If she wants to risk her life that is one thing but she is potentially risking other people's lives too if the tyre were to go at a high speed.

Tinwheeler replied on 25/02/2020 12:22

Posted on 25/02/2020 12:22

She’s being foolhardy in the extreme, as is her husband.

There is no shame in not knowing things but only a complete idiot fails to find out the facts and follow sensible advice.

John, can you print out this thread and give it to your friend to pass on to his daughter? After all, it might be one of us she hits when the temporary repair fails and she loses control of the car with her child, dog and husband on board. 😨

BrianJosie replied on 10/05/2020 08:57

Posted on 25/02/2020 11:23 by JohnM20

I have no experience of using tyre repair sealant but need some advice for a friend. The friend's daughter had a puncture several months ago and it was repaired with sealant on the roadside. Since then she has done nothing about getting the tyre properly repaired despite concerned  reminders from her parents, (she has usually got a very young child and dog in the car with her). The only answer they get is that her husband, who knows nothing about cars and only very recently learned to drive, keeps telling her it will be alright. Personally I think it should have been properly repaired but who is right?. 

Posted on 10/05/2020 08:57

Hi John,We own a retail tyre outlet in our town in Shropshire and we come across tyre sealant regularly and I can’t emphasise enough that it must only be a temporary fix. It is used sometimes ,along with string plugs ,by recovery firms to enable the person to get to an outlet and get the tyre professionally repaired ,or if the damage to the tyre is irreparable,replace the tyre.We do sometimes repair tyres that have been injected with sealant but it is very messy to clean out thoroughly before the tyre repair is carried out and that is why many outlets will not be interested in repairing the tyre.But please don’t treat the sealant as a permanent repair ,doing that could result in tyre failure on the road .

Brian & Jo

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook