Transit Custom

BigAonTour replied on 20/12/2016 15:29

Posted on 20/12/2016 15:29

Does anyone have any experience of using the new Transit Custom for towing?

Current tug will be replaced in 2017 and given the kerb weights of these vans (crew cab version L1 H1) it looks a good vehicle to haul my Valencia around. Would the 130 PS be OK or would the 170 PS be a better choice.

Your thoughts and experience gratefully received.

Alan

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 20/12/2016 15:57

Posted on 20/12/2016 15:57

BigA, sorry can't help you with the techie question but it looks a nice van. They've really upped their game have Ford. I viewed the custom in its Wellhouse camper formcool

BigAonTour replied on 20/12/2016 18:08

Posted on 20/12/2016 18:08

Thanks for the comments. It drives very well, quiet and comfortable. More like driving a car than a van. More standard features than the VW range.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 20/12/2016 18:34

Posted on 20/12/2016 18:34

I found that too, the Ford has things as standard that VW offer as 'extras' darn good vehiclesmile

Tinwheeler replied on 20/12/2016 19:06

Posted on 20/12/2016 19:06

I've not experienced the Custom but my choice would always be to go for the bigger horsepower engine, especially for towing.

ATDel replied on 25/12/2016 15:03

Posted on 25/12/2016 15:03

We have one.but only towed once with it so far, it pul our 1800kg Lunar well. We have a custon limited 125 2900kg

I did contact lunar to make sure I could tow with a commercial vehicle and was told that I would need to use a dixon bate shock link as it has a leaf spring suspension. The shock link is not a cheap bit of kit over £600 new I picked one up for £160 on ebay 😀

Dixon bate got bought out by alko a while ago and discontinued the comercial version so cannot get one of those. I have a version which is for vehicles upto 2.8t mine is the 2.9t version but will never be loaded to that as it is inthe process of becoming a camper conversion.

When i asked alko about the commercial version they wernt interested and just said we dont make them but state that you should not tow with a leaf spring suspension without some kind of shock dampening device!!!

Your tow bar manufacture has to be asked if the are type approved for using one as well. A right pain i the a.. really.

All in all a bit of a fuss but a really nice van. I do see alot of people towing wothout any kind of shock link but I would not do anything which could invalidate my warranty which it would as the book cleary states should be towed by a car or 4x4

BigAonTour replied on 13/04/2017 15:35

Posted on 13/04/2017 15:35

Well there we are Big Blue is now in the stable and mated to its tow partner. First tow experience is good and the long drag in France later this year will tell if I have made the right choice.

Our is a Custom Limited L1H1 290 double cab in van with two seats up front and 3 behind. Went for the 172 ps engine and being a Ford it has all the bells and whistles included that you pay extra in a VW. Best bet its around £9 to £12 k cheaper than the equivalent VW Kombi. Reversing camera and tow bar only extras.

too early to give mpg figures but a trip to Hillhead looks to have used a similar amount of fuel as our last car.

Car like to drive, comfortable, great view, towing mirror modified to fit. Rear view camera just installed.

All that was carried in the caravan now containerized and in the Transit's huge boot!

Thanks for all of you who made comment.

Extugger replied on 28/04/2017 11:37

Posted on 28/04/2017 11:37

Big AL,

I worked in the industry for many years and can tell you from experience, your choice is a superb one. Your vehicle will knock spots off it's German rival. The VW can simply not compete with the Custom, whichever model you chose. It's far better to drive, much more economical and believe it or not, more reliable and much cheaper to maintain too. The VW has it's followers and is a good vehicle with very strong residual values, but it needs bringing into the 21st Century.

It will prove superb as a tow vehicle too......just remember you're limited to commercial speed limits though, including here in the UK 

Extugger replied on 29/04/2017 08:02

Posted on 28/04/2017 11:37 by Extugger

Big AL,

I worked in the industry for many years and can tell you from experience, your choice is a superb one. Your vehicle will knock spots off it's German rival. The VW can simply not compete with the Custom, whichever model you chose. It's far better to drive, much more economical and believe it or not, more reliable and much cheaper to maintain too. The VW has it's followers and is a good vehicle with very strong residual values, but it needs bringing into the 21st Century.

It will prove superb as a tow vehicle too......just remember you're limited to commercial speed limits though, including here in the UK 

Posted on 29/04/2017 08:02

That should have read....'Simply cannot compete'.....

MIAANDSTORMSMUM replied on 10/11/2018 12:54

Posted on 10/11/2018 12:54

BigAontour & Kev155      WOW - so pleased I found this thread!!  Looks like we need to buy one of these shock links as we have just bought a 2017 L1H1 172ps Custom to tow our recently purchased 2015 Elddis.  The caravan salesman warned us of the damage that can be caused by towing with a van, (we were using a 4x4 at that point), but didn't advise as to why or how it could be avoided :-(      It looks like we have found the answer - thank you.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook