Toyota Rav4 Hybrid 2020 all wheel drive

ADP1963 replied on 25/07/2020 15:20

Posted on 25/07/2020 15:20

Why would you not use a Petrol vehicle ?

I have a Lexus RX and pull a Lunar Delta and as far as I am concerned it is an excellent Towing vehicle.  

Oscarmax replied on 25/07/2020 15:24

Posted on 25/07/2020 12:44 by Maz01

Are you using a 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid all wheel drive as a tow car please and in your opinion would you recommend it? 

Posted on 25/07/2020 15:24

I have seen several new Lexus Hybrids on site running the same floor pan and power train, I did find an Australian long term caravan towing road test and the new RAV4 caravan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqWe8qkDRGc

If you copy and paste the above  there is an video on youtube

We used to tow with a 2017 Ford Kuga 2.0 150 bhp diesel powershift which towed our Swift very well, like you reading all the feedback on the internet we had reservation as regards towing with a hybrid.

We eventually took the plunge an changed to a 2020 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV 2.4 (which is virtually a hybrid but with a bigger battery it tow's very well) we were worried we may have made a big mistake, however, towing down to the New Forest and back the PHEV never missed a beat, fuel consumption about the same as the Kuga, Kuga 28, Outlander PHEV 27mpg, plus petrol is slightly cheaper than diesel so no real difference financially.

Both the New Toyota RAV4 2.5 Hybrid and Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV 2.4 powertrains are a vast improvement on the model they replace.

RedKite replied on 25/07/2020 16:36

Posted on 25/07/2020 16:36

We have a friend who is on his second Hybrid Lexus and his first Lexus was just a petrol only and would not have anything else and has been towing for nearly forty years and never had a diesel does not like them but he is a petrol head, also on his third Adria and never had any trouble towing with Lexus hybrids.

We tow with an older Toyota Landcruiser but OH might just change to a hybrid but not a new one as he has never had a new car.

Think we did see the new Rav4 the other day very smart as it drove pass us.

flatcoat replied on 25/07/2020 19:17

Posted on 25/07/2020 19:17

Having just gone down the hybrid route i recently read a review of the latest Rav4 hybrid as a tow car and it wasnt great. The towing dynamics were not good - unsettled/unstable - and the impression left was to leave It well alone for towing. I have eventually gone diesel PHEV, too many tales of petrol hybrid caravsnners struggling with lack of grunt, poor real world economy and going or have gone back to diesel. One of the few petrol PHEVS that came out well is the Passat, i imagine the Skoda Superb is good too (same underpinnings). 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook