Towing with an electric car

BLUEBULL replied on 06/04/2023 21:14

Posted on 06/04/2023 21:14

I’m after buying a new tow car to replace my 6 yr old Volvo XC60 diesel. Nowadays it seems I have to buy a hybrid or all electric to tow my 3 yr old Bailey Phoenix.

Does anyone out there have any advice on my choices. I’m am after an Audi, so in comparison with my XC60, the Q5 seems a good match. Are these cars capable of doing the long mileage for a caravan holiday of say 350 miles and how long will I have to wait while I charge it up. Also how can I charge the new car when I don’t have a drive. Any help in these delicate matters would be much appreciated 

DavidKlyne replied on 06/04/2023 22:08

Posted on 06/04/2023 21:14 by BLUEBULL

I’m after buying a new tow car to replace my 6 yr old Volvo XC60 diesel. Nowadays it seems I have to buy a hybrid or all electric to tow my 3 yr old Bailey Phoenix.

Does anyone out there have any advice on my choices. I’m am after an Audi, so in comparison with my XC60, the Q5 seems a good match. Are these cars capable of doing the long mileage for a caravan holiday of say 350 miles and how long will I have to wait while I charge it up. Also how can I charge the new car when I don’t have a drive. Any help in these delicate matters would be much appreciated 

Posted on 06/04/2023 22:08

The thread that TW pointed to would be a good start for first hand information from a forum member. You could also look up the videos by Andrew Ditton on YouTube who has recently purchase an EV with the intention of towing a caravan.

David

ChocolateTrees replied on 11/04/2023 17:36

Posted on 06/04/2023 21:14 by BLUEBULL

Posted on 11/04/2023 17:36

Hi BlueBull, 

Whilst I am a huge advocate of EVs, love mine, and tow with it (as you will find if you read the thread attached above), unless you have the option of home charging, I would not opt for an EV (or indeed PHEV). Note that you don't HAVE to have a drive to home charge, but you do need to be able to park close to your home and run a cable to your car, which may also not be possible. 

Even if you can - if you are buying a car specifically as a tow car, and intend to use it for continental touring, or any touring where you cover more than a few hundred miles a day, I would think hard and twice before getting an EV.  Can it be done? Yes. Are they good tow cars? Yes. Is towing a long distance with one as simple as with an ICE car today? No. You need to want to have one for that purpose. 

Happy to answer questions on my experience to date.

For the record - I tow around 1000 miles a year with my Polestar 2, but drive a further 11,000miles or so solo. I have off road parking at home, a home charger and mine is a company car. I also have a 2nd EV (Fiat 500EC) which is personally owned. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook