Towing with a VW transporter conversion or similar

Lord2david replied on 20/09/2020 13:35

Posted on 20/09/2020 13:35

Hi, 

We are looking to change our towcar. We have a 2018 Twin Axle Lunar Delta with weight upgrade to 1800kg. Does anyone tow with VW transporter conversion or Mercedes Benz Vito Conversion? 
seeing more caravans being towed by these type of vehicles nowadays. Looking to keep within 85% rule ( although experienced). Wanting something that’s heavy and powerful enough, with good storage at the back for large Awning, chairs, beach gear etc. Comfortable seating for all essential, basic facilities for day use mainly.  Whole Topic seems a minefield, so any advice would be very helpful. 
Many thanks. 

David 

Tinwheeler replied on 20/09/2020 13:48

Posted on 20/09/2020 13:48

I’m sure that was a slip of the finger and you realise 85% is only guidance rather than a rule.

I've no direct experience of the vans you mention but, as I read your words, twin cab puck-ups sprang into my mind. Have you considered these? Comfortable car like seating, massive pulling/towing power and huge load space. A Truckman top completes the outfit.

JVB66 replied on 20/09/2020 14:45

Posted on 20/09/2020 14:45

I take it you are going for a "campervan" when you say a conversion,just note that many conversions are on "small" engine versions unless you are going for your own spec ,but  kerb weight wise there should be no trouble towing your twin axle

Tinwheeler replied on 20/09/2020 15:28

Posted on 20/09/2020 14:45 by JVB66

I take it you are going for a "campervan" when you say a conversion,just note that many conversions are on "small" engine versions unless you are going for your own spec ,but  kerb weight wise there should be no trouble towing your twin axle

Posted on 20/09/2020 15:28

I took it to mean conversion as in seats and windows as camper vans tend not to have room in the back for the gear the OP wants to stow although he does say with basic facilities......🤷🏻‍♂️

Tammygirl replied on 20/09/2020 16:10

Posted on 20/09/2020 16:10

We tow with a Toyota ProAce Verso, its an MPV all the rear 6 seats (combination of 2 x double seats and 2 x single seats) can be removed.

When going away for a long time 2 or 3 months we tend to take out all the seats but we have recently done a 3 week trip and only took out 1 row ( a double and single seat. This still left us with sufficient room to carry, 2 x folding ebikes, a camping twintub washing machine, a porch awning, 2 x plastic type crates, tool box, wheel clamp etc. It has sufficient weight and pulling power so could be a vehicle to look at. There is also a Ford, Peugeot and Citroen version of this vehicle.

If it is a 'camper' type vehicle you are after as you mentioned facilities, we have seen many towing caravans I would guess its down to how heavy your twin axle is. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook