Towing mirrors for 2018/19 BMW X5

JohnWirral replied on 20/10/2019 11:06

Posted on 20/10/2019 11:06

Hi all

Next question about our new car. We've had Milenco Aero mirrors since 2018 when we started caravanning, BUT the clamp is too narrow to fit the door mirrors on new car. I bought a new clamp but still doesn't fit. 

Can anyone recommend an alternative please?  

Many thanks in advance

John

Stonehenge replied on 05/07/2020 17:49

Posted on 05/07/2020 17:49

I have a 2019 G01 X3 and have adapted my Milenco mirrors to fit.  The new 2019 G series X5 is the same.  You mount the Milenco on the underside of the mirror.  You remove the pad from the screw and replace it with one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/M6-Black-Plastic-Protection-Hexagon/dp/B076YB77NL/ref=sr_1_10?crid=1F57EKQEST28C&dchild=1&keywords=nut+covers+black&qid=1593966842&sprefix=Nut+covers%2Caps%2C487&sr=8-10

or similar (I am not sure of the actual size, these look right but are just some I had lying around).  

The issue is that the screw that the pad was fitted to has a round end that will act like a drill and cut into your mirror - cracking them.  By covering the end of the screw with the cap that will revolve, the screw will not hurt the mirror housing.  Mount underneath and screw behind the lip (both mounts need to be pretty close to each other, so that both go BEHIND the lip) and the Milenco cannot come off, it is locked in place.  

Hope this makes sense and is helpful.

Fenda F replied on 26/07/2020 14:28

Posted on 22/06/2020 22:12 by Mono Micky

I too have Milenco and have just bought a n X5 and the Milencos dont fit. Are these OK for the 2019 X5 M50D? I put my VIN onto the BMW site for the genuine BMW X5 mirrors and it said not suitable for my vehicle.

Also, I dont speak German and feel uncomfortable ordering from the link as nothing is in English and not really sure what I am clicking on.

Can I view/order the website/product in English? or (sorry for sounding daft) can you tell me what I should click on to get the product if suitable for the X5 M50D?

Posted on 26/07/2020 14:28

Hello,

We ordered these and are delighted with them.

We managed to get the Website from German to English, using Google Translate.

Mirrors arrived within 4 days, most impressed.

Perlican replied on 01/09/2020 15:00

Posted on 13/11/2019 20:04 by JohnWirral

Hi all

Many thanks for the replies, we had gone to the caravan show but didn't see anything likely to fit. Asked BMW dealer we bought the car from, they couldn't find the BMW ones on their system. So we bought the ones on the link posted by Whittakerr. Arrived really quickly from Germany. They fit easily and looks like they shouldn't need adjusting every time they're put on and as Whittakerr says rock steady. Well worth the extra imo and would recommend anyone looking for mirrors to check this brand.

Many thanks again

John

PS after first trip away with X5 as towcar, it towed brilliantly (Swift Elegance 580). I now know what others mean when they say they didn't know they were towing 

Posted on 01/09/2020 15:00

Just a note to say that this thread was incredibly useful - 

I have a GO5 and previously used Milenco mirrors, but the housing shape made the clamps difficult to fit and I was worried I'd crack them. It turns out that the housing is £80 or so - but if you also crack the glass (as you can if you have the mirror set to lower when reversing, for instance) then you can expect a bill for £300 or so - it's packed with sensors for lane departure etc.

Using this thread, I've ordered some mirrors today from the site - address is https://www.wohnwagen-spiegel.de/ - and when I did so, Google offered to translate.  I've ordered the basic pair at £108 or so, and already have an email saying they're with DPD and expect them by Friday.

And JohnWirral is right - I too tow a 2018 Swift Elegance 580 and it's barely noticeable with the 3.0 Turbo Diesel engine.  This is my 3rd X5 for towing and I've always found them very good, albeit they're not the cheapest car to run.  I always fit run-flat tyres, too (which I discovered by accident were not included in the new model I'd bought, so spent £1500 buying them too) as it's a major relief to know that you're not going to get a blow-out at speed when towing - just a gentle reminder that "you have a flat tyre!"

Anyway, thanks to all contributors - I'll advise when I've got them and give a review then.

IanTG replied on 02/09/2020 18:52

Posted on 02/09/2020 18:52

I too recently bought a 2019 X5 (although an X30D)  and was helped by the dealer, as a member of staff had previously purchased mirrors which did fit, and they brought them in to confirm to me which brand did fit.

I purchased this brand (EMUK) from Germany by phone. They spoke perfect English, and sent me English links to enable me to order, after first establishing beyond doubt that they were the correct ones. And the mirrors took all of 48 hours to arrive at my home, from Germany.

This is the website https://www.autoteile-herr.de/

and the phone number +4923719210691

Ask for Stefanie, she is most helpful, and says she smiles at the many times she gets orders from uK.

if you need any more help, private message me.

IanTG replied on 02/09/2020 19:01

Posted on 02/09/2020 19:01

Additional to my previous post

There is another alternative, in that Tamworth Camping are UK agents for a different German wholesaler who does not supply direct to UK individuals. If you call them, they can order on your behalf from the wholesaler. I I did begin to explore this option but as I needed the mirrors in a hurry, found the single step ordering from Stefanie quicker.

EmilysDad replied on 02/09/2020 22:01

Posted on 02/09/2020 18:52 by IanTG

I too recently bought a 2019 X5 (although an X30D)  and was helped by the dealer, as a member of staff had previously purchased mirrors which did fit, and they brought them in to confirm to me which brand did fit.

I purchased this brand (EMUK) from Germany by phone. They spoke perfect English, and sent me English links to enable me to order, after first establishing beyond doubt that they were the correct ones. And the mirrors took all of 48 hours to arrive at my home, from Germany.

This is the website https://www.autoteile-herr.de/

and the phone number +4923719210691

Ask for Stefanie, she is most helpful, and says she smiles at the many times she gets orders from uK.

if you need any more help, private message me.

Posted on 02/09/2020 22:01

...  private message me

If only ..... 😕

EmilysDad replied on 02/09/2020 22:44

Posted on 02/09/2020 22:10 by IanTG

Ah yes, Emilysdad, I see it doesn’t seem possible to pm.

Posted on 02/09/2020 22:44

Something that was asked for from the start. There was some feable excuse as to why they couldn't /wouldn't but it now escapes me

MJG1954 replied on 03/10/2020 12:04

Posted on 03/10/2020 12:04

Just thought I'd add my thoughts.

I had the Milenco mirrots and indeed there was cracking noises while fitting them so I took this discussion's advice and bought the EMUK type.

They fit like a dream to my 2017 X5 40d.

However I wasn't that keen on the mirrors themselves, so I've modified them and put the Milenco mirrors on the EMUK brackets.

The EMUK mirrors have a clamp fitting onto the bracket, whereas the Milenco fit over the end and have a screw through fitting.

The brackets needed an inch taken off , a little insulating tape to take up the small gap when fitting the other mirror and a small hole drilled to take the Milenco mirrors screws, other than that they give a superb view and they don't vibrate.

Thanks to the OP and other contributors for a most helpful post..

jzgreen replied on 12/10/2020 14:53

Posted on 01/09/2020 15:00 by Perlican

Just a note to say that this thread was incredibly useful - 

I have a GO5 and previously used Milenco mirrors, but the housing shape made the clamps difficult to fit and I was worried I'd crack them. It turns out that the housing is £80 or so - but if you also crack the glass (as you can if you have the mirror set to lower when reversing, for instance) then you can expect a bill for £300 or so - it's packed with sensors for lane departure etc.

Using this thread, I've ordered some mirrors today from the site - address is https://www.wohnwagen-spiegel.de/ - and when I did so, Google offered to translate.  I've ordered the basic pair at £108 or so, and already have an email saying they're with DPD and expect them by Friday.

And JohnWirral is right - I too tow a 2018 Swift Elegance 580 and it's barely noticeable with the 3.0 Turbo Diesel engine.  This is my 3rd X5 for towing and I've always found them very good, albeit they're not the cheapest car to run.  I always fit run-flat tyres, too (which I discovered by accident were not included in the new model I'd bought, so spent £1500 buying them too) as it's a major relief to know that you're not going to get a blow-out at speed when towing - just a gentle reminder that "you have a flat tyre!"

Anyway, thanks to all contributors - I'll advise when I've got them and give a review then.

Posted on 12/10/2020 14:53

Hi Perlican

how did it go with the mirrors for your G05 ?

Just got a GO5 myself and need new mirrors

cheers

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook