Towing German and Swiss Alps

ClubMember74FCE6C3CE replied on 19/06/2024 20:50

Posted on 19/06/2024 20:50

Hello, I've towed a bit before including caravan, trailer tent and boat. I have a Series 3 Bailey Cabrera coupled with a BMW X5 3.0 auto. We are thinking of going to Garmisch in the German Alps and then going on to Lake Como before trundling to Brittany to meet our family. Long way, I know. I've been looking at the routes from Garmisch to Como and from Google Maps it would see that I have a couple of choices those being predominantly Highway 23 and then either the more direct route of 187, 179, 189 but this involves taking in the Maloja pass in Switzerland amongst others or to go a longer way same 2 roads to start with and then route 179, 96, A14 and 13. That also appears to have a few hairpins to negotiate. We would be doing the route in the summer, I know we can still get bad weather though. Just like to know if anyone who has maybe towed a van on either of these route has any advice or indeed if there is a better way. Thanks Ken

Dave Nicholson replied on 19/06/2024 22:14

Posted on 19/06/2024 22:14

Both the routes are a bit tortuous in places but I’m sure your X5 would romp them. We’ve towed a 2te trailer and boat over similar roads with an X5 without a problem. An alternative, albeit more boring, route would be to drive east to Innsbruck and over the Brenner Pass to Garda then along the A4 to Milan. Despite the longer distance it’s not so different time wise but the A4 has a number of 2 lane sections where caravans are restricted to the inside lane. Tolls on the Italian motorways are not exorbitant. 

eurortraveller replied on 20/06/2024 09:15

Posted on 20/06/2024 09:15

The Maloja Pass is unusual. Going southbound you are driving up the long valley of the river Inn (the Engadine)  There is no serious climbing. We went that way to explore around St Moritz, staying for a few days at a campsite at Sur En in the valley. A plus point  is that you don’t need Swiss vignettes as it is not motorway. It’s a lovely corner of Switzerland but there were no other British about - I think they only go to Interlaken.

Then from the top of the Maloja the road dives down steeply into Italy with twists and turns.. We didn’t go down as time was running out and we needed to head back, but we watched all sorts of traffic including tourist coaches coming up from Italy. It is a big road and well maintained, but the problem going down will be the usual one of caravan over run brakes on all the time and seriously over heating.

There are videos on YouTube of driving that way. Please let us know how you get on.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook