Towing help required - dealer to storage

RobertaAndrea replied on 23/08/2020 11:57

Posted on 23/08/2020 11:57

Hello, 

We are looking for someone to tow our newly bought second hand caravan from the dealer  (near Coventry )to storage (Crawley).  It is an Abbey Aventura 320 (year 2001).

Any suggestions of companies that provide that kind of service? 

Or any experienced caravan driver in the mood for a day out? :-)

I was going to drive it myself, but being totally new, and not having done the course yet, I am not 100% confident to do it just yet. Want to take the course first, and make sure our towcar is 100% ready (we just bought it second hand). 

Thank you

replied on 23/08/2020 12:09

Posted on 23/08/2020 11:57 by RobertaAndrea

Hello, 

We are looking for someone to tow our newly bought second hand caravan from the dealer  (near Coventry )to storage (Crawley).  It is an Abbey Aventura 320 (year 2001).

Any suggestions of companies that provide that kind of service? 

Or any experienced caravan driver in the mood for a day out? :-)

I was going to drive it myself, but being totally new, and not having done the course yet, I am not 100% confident to do it just yet. Want to take the course first, and make sure our towcar is 100% ready (we just bought it second hand). 

Thank you

Posted on 23/08/2020 12:09

First thing I would do is ask the dealership if they have a contact if no neighbours, friends or family able and willing.. 

Richard VA replied on 23/08/2020 13:03

Posted on 23/08/2020 13:03

sorry i cannot help but i have a slightly related query which may help get an interesting debate -i plan to collect my small caravan in 4 weeks and have not a suitable car to do towing

i was wanting advice

1. where i can find a rental company who will provide a car that can tow so i can try out a car model and the caravan for a short weekend!

2. what are the smallest /cheapest cars that  members can recommend to tow a 750kg van and that can cope with hills fine? tips recommendations fo model cars( mdoals perhaps 10 years old as i will be buying second hand one day)

thanks and sorry if it diverts the thread-this is my first view of this blog site-new to it all

Richard

Moderator Edit:

Hello Richard and thanks for your post.

In fairness to the OP, it would be better if you started your own new thread so this one doesn't get taken over by your own query.

Many Thanks.

replied on 23/08/2020 13:22

Posted on 23/08/2020 13:03 by Richard VA

sorry i cannot help but i have a slightly related query which may help get an interesting debate -i plan to collect my small caravan in 4 weeks and have not a suitable car to do towing

i was wanting advice

1. where i can find a rental company who will provide a car that can tow so i can try out a car model and the caravan for a short weekend!

2. what are the smallest /cheapest cars that  members can recommend to tow a 750kg van and that can cope with hills fine? tips recommendations fo model cars( mdoals perhaps 10 years old as i will be buying second hand one day)

thanks and sorry if it diverts the thread-this is my first view of this blog site-new to it all

Richard

Posted on 23/08/2020 13:22

If they are not all booked in pleasant Covid 'Holiday season' here is a list by county

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/1022847/car-hire-with-towbar-and-towing-services-mo.pdf

As far as purchasing an older car what is the MPTLM of caravan?

Wherenext replied on 24/08/2020 15:32

Posted on 24/08/2020 15:32

Roberta have you got a local garage that has a breakdown truck. They may be able to do the job.

Alternatively have a word with the club or their Red Pennant partner. Sometimes it is necessary to send someone to pick up a damaged caravan when the owners car and/or owner is incapacitated. 

Also try the following;

www.shiply.com

TonyBurton replied on 24/08/2020 20:51

Posted on 24/08/2020 20:51

I'd encourage you to do it yourself Roberta. The dealer should make sure you understand how to hitch it up and also set you up with some towing mirrors. It can be a bit scary at first, but get on the M6 and settle down at a steady 55 mph. That way you will not have to overtake any lorries. You'll soon grow used to the slight difference in the feel of the car and begin to relax. Most of us took up caravanning before training courses were available. The storage site should help you unhitch when you get to Croydon. Better still, why not try some of the good sites in the Midlands before you head for home.

TonyBurton replied on 27/08/2020 11:04

Posted on 27/08/2020 11:04

There's another good reason for visiting a site near Coventry before you head for home. Invariably there will be some small problem with the van which will necessitate a return to the dealer. Something that you can't do when you're the wrong side of the M25. Try Eriba Glade near Rugby. It will be on the way home.

lornalou1 replied on 27/08/2020 11:35

Posted on 27/08/2020 11:35

Could I ask why you bought a van so far away as if any problems occur you will need to take it back. They did give you some warranty with it I hope. 

derekcyril replied on 28/08/2020 08:29

Posted on 28/08/2020 08:29

Seems like another couple of impulse buys here .did it myelf years ago bought a lemon . Fortunately traded it in for a new one . Dealer couldnt find his damp meter ,result !

TonyBurton replied on 28/08/2020 20:45

Posted on 28/08/2020 08:29 by derekcyril

Seems like another couple of impulse buys here .did it myelf years ago bought a lemon . Fortunately traded it in for a new one . Dealer couldnt find his damp meter ,result !

Posted on 28/08/2020 20:45

Steady on Derek, Roberta needs a bit of encouragement not doom and gloom. This could the start of a wonderful new pass time. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook