Towing courses

PATMAU replied on 08/10/2018 19:22

Posted on 08/10/2018 19:22

Because of a medical condition my OH is now not allowed to drive for the next 12 months.  This means that next year, it is down to me to tow the van.  I do tow the van, on long journeys we have always shared the task.  However, I don't class myself as fully experienced.  As next year I won't be able to handover to my husband to do "difficult" manoeuvres, I think I would benefit from a towing course.  But, which should I choose, the 2 day cover everything one, or the one day manoeuvring one.  It is the reversing that I am least confident in,   I am inclined towards the 2 day course as I guess it wouldn't hurt to have instruction in all the other bits as well.  What would other posters opt for?  And has anyone been on one of these courses in recent times?  Hubby did one in 1987!

eurortraveller replied on 08/10/2018 19:36

Posted on 08/10/2018 19:36

In your situation I would arrange one to one private lessons with a professional driving instructor who is experienced in towing - tuition using your own car and your own caravan, on the road as well as off it. I hope it goes well. 

trellis replied on 08/10/2018 19:43

Posted on 08/10/2018 19:43

Patmau , as it appears that you are far from a novice ,IMO go for the one day course.you will probably get the same amount of drive time for your money .Did it myself a couple of years ago well worth it. Which ever you choose , enjoy , good luck , and best wishes to hubby .

lornalou1 replied on 08/10/2018 19:47

Posted on 08/10/2018 19:47

If your struggling with difficult manoeuvres then a motor mover might help as these can be used anywhere ie- if your down a country lane and need to turn round then unhitch, move car round and then the caravan and re-hitch and on your way. If you already have them then make more use of them.

EmilysDad replied on 08/10/2018 20:32

Posted on 08/10/2018 20:32

Your other half might not be allowed to tow, but there's no reason why he can't advise when it comes to the difficult bits. Becoming proficient at reversing just comes with practice .... you don't need a course to tell you that.

I'd guess that 99% of the 'older' tow-ers here have never had formal instruction on towing .... hitch up & suck & see.

Tinwheeler replied on 08/10/2018 20:35

Posted on 08/10/2018 20:35

Whatever your decision, Patmau, good luck and well done for taking on the job of chief tower. I’m sure you’ll do well. 👏🏻👏🏻

Bakers2 replied on 08/10/2018 20:42

Posted on 08/10/2018 19:36 by eurortraveller

In your situation I would arrange one to one private lessons with a professional driving instructor who is experienced in towing - tuition using your own car and your own caravan, on the road as well as off it. I hope it goes well. 

Posted on 08/10/2018 20:42

I'd agree with private instruction using your own vehicle and caravan if possible. You'll only know if this is possible but chatting to those who offer courses in your area. Our DIL2B did a towing course and the test 😉 and was very pleased to be complimented on her ability by her ability, probably growing up on the farm 😂😂, 

I hope your OH recovers well and can get driving again.

PATMAU replied on 13/10/2018 17:56

Posted on 13/10/2018 17:56

Thanks for all the advice.  I have decided I will do the two day practical caravanning course as it won't do me any harm in going through all the aspects.. I'll see how I get on after that, and I can always do the one day reversing if need be.  I have booked for March and just so I can get some practice in, and hopefully, be full of confidence on the return journey, I have booked Morn Hill for 3 nights.  Hubby is coming too, so although he can't drive at least he is there for support.  Although given what he is like when I am driving and his, what he considers his "helpful comments", I think a very large gag over his mouth might be required, lol. 

PATMAU replied on 21/03/2019 20:06

Posted on 21/03/2019 20:06

Update.  Did the towing course 16/17 March and would recommend this to anyone who is starting out or, like me, tows but needed help with reversing.  The two Dave's were brilliant and very patient.  The group was a mixture of newbies, others like me, who needed a boost as we are now the main towers, and others who were returning to caravanning after many years away. 

I can now reverse in a straight line, and round an offside corner, but funnily enough, round a nearside corner, took me a few goes to get it right.  Got there in the end though.

MeAndMyDogs replied on 07/07/2022 15:30

Posted on 08/10/2018 19:36 by eurortraveller

Posted on 07/07/2022 15:30

Thank you for this advice, even from 4 years ago!

I’ve intended to take training to improve my manoeuvring, but the nearest club course is 2 hours drive away. I was dithering because the logistics of dogs/caravan etc were complicated.

I have now booked for a 1-2-1 locally.

John Todd replied on 20/07/2022 07:58

Posted on 20/07/2022 07:58

The latest tow car reviewer James Batchelor with no caravan experience apparently did a 2 day course which turned him into an expert qualified to give us all advise so I am sure a course would provide all the skills and information you require.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook