Towed cars

mickysf replied on 07/01/2021 11:39

Posted on 07/01/2021 11:39

I'm thinking of towing a car behind the motorhome. Resisted this but recently downsized to a fiat 500 for a whole variety of reasons. It just now make sense! And thoughts, ideas or suggestions would be most welcomed. A Frame?

peedee replied on 07/01/2021 13:05

Posted on 07/01/2021 13:05

A-Frame all the time as far as I am concerned. One from Tow bars 2 tow is the best as far as I am concerned. I have an old one from car-a-tow lanquishing in my garage going cheap if you want it!

peedee

Francis replied on 07/01/2021 22:47

Posted on 07/01/2021 22:47

When we had our motorhome we used to tow a little Peugeot 107 behind on an A-Feame. We towed it all over the UK and never had any issues it was an Armitage Frame we got them to convert the car for us and all went well they are based near Leeds and the service was excellent also the frame was a good quality all round an excellent bit of kit. We sold the car and the frame as a set to a couple who had a motorhome and they were going to tow it around we ended up going back to a caravan 

peedee replied on 08/01/2021 07:00

Posted on 07/01/2021 13:38 by mickysf

Thanks peedee, could you kindly elaborate on the advantages of the TB2TC system you mention over others. Are they the ones at Keelby?

Posted on 08/01/2021 07:00

Yes they are the ones at Keelby, not far from you. Firstly they employ eletronic braking so it is a much more controlled system than the overide braking employed by mechanical systems but its big plus point for me is it is one if not the lightest system around to handle. It stows nicely in a bag in the boot of the car and the installation on the car is not very intrusive or obvious.

As you are relatively close to them it could be worth your while poping along to see them when COVID allows.

peedee

mickysf replied on 08/01/2021 09:45

Posted on 08/01/2021 09:45

Thanks Husky, have checked, I'm with the C&MC for my motorhome insurance. I twice explained the fact that it was the car being towed by the motorhome just to be sure they understood. Their answer was that they expect this set up as they are the C&MC and that many of their customers tow cars behind their motorhome. I also now insure my car with them with the same assurances. A tad more expensive but reassuring from my point of view. You get what you pay for after all.

Peedee, I'm on with them now (TB2TC). I will have the work done as soon as travel and other restrictions allow. Can't wait for some semblance of normality and be back on tour.

In readiness for the happy event, any tips from folk for use of these systems, from hooking up to unhooking and all in between, would be most welcomed. Cheers again.

MikeyA replied on 08/01/2021 10:46

Posted on 08/01/2021 10:46

A very interesting and informative video from TB2TC.

Just out of pure curiosity what does it cost to convert your car to this system?

mickysf replied on 08/01/2021 11:48

Posted on 08/01/2021 11:48

We rang around the providers and there is quite a bit of variance regarding cost. Depends upon the car and if you need motorhome converting or a tow bar fitted to it. Then you need to compare the systems and negotiate a price. As the A frame is easily detached and the car returned to original condition some outlay is returnable when you sell on. Sorry I can't be more precise as my quote was for the whole job lot, not just the car. I'd suggest that specific research pertinent to your particular needs may be more appropriate. Just give Terry at TB2TC a quick call, he is very helpful and understanding, he'll give you an exact price. Other providers should be as accommodating with their cost quotes mind.

peedee replied on 08/01/2021 12:13

Posted on 08/01/2021 10:46 by MikeyA

A very interesting and informative video from TB2TC.

Just out of pure curiosity what does it cost to convert your car to this system?

Posted on 08/01/2021 12:13

Just to give you an idea, a ball park figure would be round about £1200/£1500. Think I paid about £1100 4 years ago.

peedee

peedee replied on 08/01/2021 12:22

Posted on 08/01/2021 12:22

In readiness for the happy event, any tips from folk for use of these systems, from hooking up to unhooking and all in between, would be most welcomed. Cheers again.

I have do everything solo. While you may have a partner to help there still maybe occasions when you need to hook up unhook by yourself. For my tip on how to do this check out >this<

Have a check list to make sure you have done everything before you drive off e.g. handbrake off gears in neutral etc. Don't ignore it, use it everytime you finish hitching up. Might save you some grief.

peedee

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook