towcar for coachman pastiche 530/4

McFly replied on 23/08/2017 20:45

Posted on 23/08/2017 20:45

Hi everyone,

Having been told our wheel bearings had gone & that it would be ok to tow the caravan to the south of france & back (just turn the radio up they said) we've just been told our rear diff has gone (quite common apparently) & to replace it will be quite a few pennies so we thought we'd look into changing the car instead. 

We looked at the match the caravan to car section & the cars that would tow our van have mostly disappeared since we bought our caravan. (coachman pastiche 530/4 2007)

We are pulling with a freelander at the moment as that easily tows the van (sometimes my husband forgets the van is on the back). But looking at the list now the only landrovers that will pull the van are disco's or range rover sports. Where have all the others gone??? i.e defenders, freelanders, jaguars, kia, bmw's, a few Audis etc  these all used to be ok to tow but have now disappeared leaving us uncertain  now what to go for.

If a defender won't pull it anymore what will??? I think someone had better tell the British army that their vehicles won't pull a skin off a rice pudding.

Any advice or recommendations? or can someone point out if I've done something wrong please.

Simon100 replied on 24/08/2017 21:01

Posted on 24/08/2017 21:01

Not sure why you think that Kia, and any of the others, have disappeared?

If a Freelander would tow your van a Kia Sorento or Hyundai Santa Fe certainly would and there are many of those about. 

You might even try a Mazda CX5, Ford Kuga, Ssanyong Reston or other Kids and Hyundai models or anything else that gives you up to 100% ratio of van mptlm and car kerb weight.

Tinwheeler replied on 24/08/2017 21:30

Posted on 24/08/2017 21:30

Mitsubishi Shogun, Toyota Landcruiser, Volvo XC90.......

Do your own research and don't rely on the matching service as it's far from comprehensive.

Vulcan replied on 24/08/2017 23:20

Posted on 24/08/2017 23:20

I don't know where you are getting your information from, even the smallest Land Rover, the Evoque 4x4 would be quite capable of towing your van.

EJB986 replied on 25/08/2017 09:57

Posted on 25/08/2017 09:57

For info the LR Defender was taken out of production on 29 January 2016 but second hand ones tend to stay around for a long timesealed

As everybody else suggests forget the CC information and at least try Googlewink

DS3 replied on 12/09/2017 18:21

Posted on 12/09/2017 18:21

I would forget badges, I did and bought a Ssangyong Rexton, it has a 3500kg tow limit and a nose weight of 128kg.

It has Mercedes running gear with a merc seven speed gearbox. It is rear wheel drive but also comes with a switch for 4H and 4L, yes, a low range gearbox too. I picked mine  up new on a Friday evening and the following morning towed our twin axle caravan to the Lake District. We spent two weeks there driving every pass in torrential rain and even some byways with seven people on board. It never once missed a beat. In a month it has done 3226 miles.

It does high 40's MPG solo and the same as my V70 while towing. Overall a great car for not much money, it even has a five year unlimited mileage. We love it.

weekendgypsy replied on 01/10/2017 19:23

Posted on 01/10/2017 19:23

We tow our twin axle bessacarr with a merc ml 300. It tows a dream. Plenty of torque. You can accelerate to overtake comfortably on motorways. Just been to Devon and Cornwall and didn't miss a beat. 

As it happens were going to buy a newer one anytime soon..

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook