Towbar fitting, alko 1300

Sharktale replied on 27/05/2021 17:36

Posted on 27/05/2021 17:36

Hi all, I'm just getting sorted with my towbar. I've been looking through and I see it says about the towbar with alko stabilisers. I have an alko 1300 stabiliser on my caravan so do I need to ask for a specific towbar? Some places ask and some don't so I'm a little confused. 

Many thanks

Tinwheeler replied on 28/05/2021 15:04

Posted on 28/05/2021 15:04

Unless the law has recently changed again, Geoff, the once common practice of fitting spacers was outlawed several years ago as it contravened the type approval of the tow bar.

EmilysDad replied on 28/05/2021 16:49

Posted on 28/05/2021 15:01 by geoffeales

I'd guess something like 85% of vans are fitted with Alko stabilizers so most hooks will give sufficient clearance, if not, a simple spacer and a couple of longer bolts will do the trick for flange type tow-bars. Having just researched this I'd recommend a swan-neck which will almost certainly give the clearance you need and is far less likely to interfere with your reversing sensors. 

Posted on 28/05/2021 16:49

That's not correct. Regardless of the legalities of spacers, an ALKO 2 bolt flange tow ball provides extra clearance UNDER the ball, not just behind it to provide enough articulation of the stabiliser hitch.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook