Tow car SAT NAV for caravanning use?

Del Sandy replied on 26/02/2018 21:42

Posted on 26/02/2018 21:42

Hi All, I have an AWD 2014 KX-4 Sportage. It is rated as a great tow car by some, it has a nice SAT NAV but it would be great if it could be updated for Caravanning use.

I assume that a stand alone SAT NAV will be needed whilst towing.

Has anybody else looked at this issue, not just specific to KIA but as a general issue?

I would appreciate any comments, thoughts or advise.

Thanks

Derek

EmilysDad replied on 26/02/2018 22:08

Posted on 26/02/2018 22:08

Towing doesn't occur to most car manufacturers & most car buyers, so why would an integrated sat-nav have a towing option? Just use the factory fit system with a little common sense & forward planning.

Hakinbush replied on 27/02/2018 07:36

Posted on 27/02/2018 07:36

They are about Del, cos most of the big supermarket delivery drivers have em to keep clear of low bridges and weight limits, I'm sure Ive seen them advertised in caravan magazines from time to time..H.

Sheilaf replied on 21/04/2018 12:29

Posted on 21/04/2018 12:29

I have a 3 mths old Kia Sportage 2ltr Gt Line and you’ve just answered my question before I’ve asked. I’m going off in 2 wks and was wondering what they’re like for towing. My last car was the Nissan Xtrail  09 plate and was brilliant would’ve towed a tank.  Ive always used the onboard sat nav but always check it against a map. They’re good but not infallible.

sheila

dave the rave replied on 23/04/2018 14:18

Posted on 23/04/2018 14:18

I have a Sorento kx3 and I use the inbuilt sat.nav.when solo and my garmin/avtex unit when towing.Neither are infallable so use maps etc as well!Incidently,I find the Kia,s instruction to "leave the exit" really annoying!undecided

captainslogg replied on 25/04/2018 20:35

Posted on 25/04/2018 20:35

Does the mapping that your sat nav uses include road width data? If it doesn’t then it is inevitable that your tomtom-garmin will send you down an unsuitable narrow road at some point. I believe but stand to be corrected, ordnance survey made this data available to sat nav makers at the end of 2016 (at a price)

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook