Tow bar fitting recommendation

GTrimmer replied on 04/03/2022 11:27

Posted on 04/03/2022 11:27

I recently changed my tow car to a Mercedes E220d estate, and was terrified at the price quoted by the main dealer surprised

I found these people ,  https://www.danhiretrailers.co.uk/category/towbars/   who supplied and fitted a removable ball bar with dedicated and  coded 13 pin electrics .All for less than £600 as well !  

They do not come to you, but will freely offer transport to reasonably nearby  destinations. They took me home (10 miles) and collected me again once the job was finished.

They couldn't have been more helpful and caring . I would recommend them very highly indeed .

TobyLeeds replied on 13/03/2022 10:49

Posted on 13/03/2022 10:49

Try indespension- branches in major towns, prompt service and a good price. A choice of approved wiring loom at a slightly higher price.

Cornersteady replied on 13/03/2022 10:59

Posted on 13/03/2022 10:59

Obviously choose the best price, quality, and value for anyone else making that choice and there is no right/wrong choice only your choice, but two points to consider when making that choice for anyone else.

The one fitted by the dealer and/or factory fitted may be subject to the same guarantee or warranty as the rest of the car, I checked and ours is.

Secondly car electronics are very complex and perhaps/maybe the one fitted by the dealer could be a better choice?

Like I said no right or wrong answers just points to consider. 

replied on 13/03/2022 11:23

Posted on 13/03/2022 11:23

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

EmilysDad replied on 13/03/2022 11:50

Posted on 04/03/2022 11:27 by GTrimmer

I recently changed my tow car to a Mercedes E220d estate, and was terrified at the price quoted by the main dealer surprised

I found these people ,  https://www.danhiretrailers.co.uk/category/towbars/   who supplied and fitted a removable ball bar with dedicated and  coded 13 pin electrics .All for less than £600 as well !  

They do not come to you, but will freely offer transport to reasonably nearby  destinations. They took me home (10 miles) and collected me again once the job was finished.

They couldn't have been more helpful and caring . I would recommend them very highly indeed .

Posted on 13/03/2022 11:50

You need to check that you're comparing apples with apples when comparing fitted prices of aftermarket & factory fit. I believe that many factory fit bars come complete with upgraded cooling fans that you won't get from your local towbar fitter. My ML has a factory fit bar & has a towing setting which alters the Airmatic suspension & gearbox shift changes ... definitely factory only. I understand they are very expensive .... All hail the used car market! 

GTrimmer replied on 13/03/2022 15:37

Posted on 13/03/2022 15:37

All valid points  - but I was quoted in excess of £3K for an 'after fit' bar for my used car by the supplying MB dealer.  They explained that the upgraded cooling etc which MB insist on is to ensure that the vehicle can handle the declared maximum trailer load (in my case 2200kg) "up an Alp in 40 degrees c "

I'm vey happy with what I have for a saving of some £2400 thank you.

EmilysDad replied on 13/03/2022 17:33

Posted on 13/03/2022 15:37 by GTrimmer

All valid points  - but I was quoted in excess of £3K for an 'after fit' bar for my used car by the supplying MB dealer.  They explained that the upgraded cooling etc which MB insist on is to ensure that the vehicle can handle the declared maximum trailer load (in my case 2200kg) "up an Alp in 40 degrees c "

Posted on 13/03/2022 17:33

I knew they could be expensive from MB but not that expensive!!  😱 I'm sure there are more towcars without an upgraded cooling fan than with 👍and very few will be towing over the Alps 

KeithL replied on 14/03/2022 15:26

Posted on 13/03/2022 15:37 by GTrimmer

Posted on 14/03/2022 15:26

Just remember that additional cooling that dealers talk about is not really engine cooling but additional gearbox cooling. For the engine you can always keep your eye on the temperature gauge but you're blind with gearbox temperatures and if that cooks you'r in deep and very expensive doo doo.

I made that mistake with a Ford Scorpio back in the day and the gearbox overheated and basically blew up. Never made that mistake again.

Suggest it might be worth checking with MB that the additional cooling is for engine only or if it's for engine and gearbox before you make a potentially expensive mistake.

GTrimmer replied on 15/03/2022 10:44

Posted on 15/03/2022 10:44

That thought had occurred to me before I went ahead, and consulted with a very large MB forum, asking if anyone had experienced cooling issues for engine or transmission whilst towing . None had, and a number were tugging much bigger loads than my 1300 kg Swift !

Modern auto boxes are considerably more sophisticated and better engineered than they were in the days of the Scorpio and others , some 30 years ago.

KeithL replied on 16/03/2022 14:33

Posted on 15/03/2022 10:44 by GTrimmer

That thought had occurred to me before I went ahead, and consulted with a very large MB forum, asking if anyone had experienced cooling issues for engine or transmission whilst towing . None had, and a number were tugging much bigger loads than my 1300 kg Swift !

Modern auto boxes are considerably more sophisticated and better engineered than they were in the days of the Scorpio and others , some 30 years ago.

Posted on 16/03/2022 14:33

They certainly are but at the end of the day always best to check.

Even the simplest rebuild on an MB box was about 9k a few years ago never mind the cost of a new one if it did go bang 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook