Tom Tom v Garmin

Tomorrow replied on 16/10/2018 07:59

Posted on 16/10/2018 07:59

Does anyone use a Garmin satnav in a Land Rover Discovery 3.  We currently have a Tom Tom however it often cannot find satellites or takes forever to do so.  This is not our first Tom Tom to do this.  We are not sure if the heated windscreen is causing a problem.  Was thinking of getting a Garmin but wondered if anyone had experience of this working well in there disco. Before anyone suggests using our mobile it is not possible for us as when in mainland UK our mobiles are roaming so data is really expensive. 

DavidKlyne replied on 16/10/2018 08:09

Posted on 16/10/2018 08:09

No experience of using a sat nav in a Landrover Discovery but Tom Tom's do have to be updated regularly as the part of the program that finds the GPS is regularly updated. It tends to happen to my Tom Tom initially but I find using last know destination usually solves the issue as it soon picks up the GPS once on the move. Not that I wise to get into a debate about TomTom v Garmin but I did not have a lot of luck with the last Garmin sat nav I purchased and got rid of it pretty quickly to be replaced by my current TomTom.

David

Oneputt replied on 16/10/2018 08:15

Posted on 16/10/2018 08:15

I can’t comment on the LR aspect but I’ve always had Garmins and like DK says you need to update them fairly regularly.  Has a couple of problems but not the fault of the satnav, mainly operator error

young thomas replied on 16/10/2018 08:43

Posted on 16/10/2018 08:43

I have three Tomtoms....(one antique one I use in the bike, one Classic XL, my larger long term unit but is now unsupported, and a 'modern' Bluetooth Via model)

as far as I know, there has been an update for GPS software but only a one off change, called something like QuickGps to help lock on.

as long as this has been done there's not a lot else in this area.

TBH, I didn't see much difference.

as DK Says, by the time you got the car moving (or within a minute or so) it's locked on.

if you're driving away from a place you're not familiar with, just give it a tad longer and let it lock on before driving.

good luck. 

replied on 16/10/2018 08:45

Posted on 16/10/2018 08:45

I use a TomTom. I've had it several years. Other than in multistorey car parks only had problems finding the GPS during last June when the unit had not been updated for about 6 or 7 months. It usually gets updated March, June, August and December before various tours etc

replied on 16/10/2018 08:52

Posted on 16/10/2018 08:52

as DK Says, by the time you got the car moving (or within a minute or so) it's locked on.

if you're driving away from a place you're not familiar with, just give it a tad longer and let it lock on before driving.

When mine started playing up was 25th June this year when leaving Blaidon Chains site. As 'she' couldn't find the sat I turned right onto the nearby dual carriageway as I knew that there was a roundabout to turn back round on whilst the sat was picked up. 

Cornersteady replied on 16/10/2018 10:18

Posted on 16/10/2018 10:18

I have a Tomtom for the car, these were bought before we had cars with their own GPS and of course the cars have Android auto too. We also use Garmin units but these are for climbing in the lakes with OS maps. I haven't noticed any difference between the car's GPS, Tomtom or Garmin in start times.

(we have found its actually much easier to use Android auto with google maps as the phone has already 'locked on') 

ocsid replied on 16/10/2018 10:43

Posted on 16/10/2018 10:43

I know you said a mobile is not viable but based on the assumption it would be using data. That need not be the case if using the Maps ME app, that works on pre downloaded map "tiles", which you could have downloaded anytime before whilst on a wifi hot spot.

Using that could test if the Disco's heated screen is the endemic issue here that blocks any GPS. 

JillwithaJay replied on 16/10/2018 11:02

Posted on 16/10/2018 11:02

We have a Disco and a Garmin.  I've stopped using it as it's tried to take us down so many wrong routes.  Agree that it also takes for ever to find satellites so, all in all, quite useless.

Cornersteady replied on 16/10/2018 11:18

Posted on 16/10/2018 11:18

Just out of interest from one figure I've found (first return on google) google maps uses 0.73 Mb per 20 minutes, so that is 2.19 Mb per hour. Now I was in the EE shop yesterday and I noticed that they have a data sim plan that is £20 for 20Gb. So at 0.00219 Gb every hour that would last well over 9000 hours or well over one year!

JVB66 replied on 16/10/2018 11:25

Posted on 16/10/2018 11:25

Our Kia has built in sat nav and is very quick to "latch on" to sats when fired up ,much quicker than the Garmin we also have and tend to use on "unfamiliar" towing routes as it is LV specific?undecided,where as the car satnav is notsurprised

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook