Smart charge relay

bigrigtrucker replied on 17/03/2018 19:27

Posted on 17/03/2018 19:27

I wonder if any one else has had towbar fitters use a wire in the boot thats thing and i think should not be used as it should be 30 amp cable and a fuse iv had lots problems with fitters. iv just got a freelander that has the 12n socket on it and going fit the 12s my self take a feed from the battery to the boot with a in line 30 amp fuse so its done right i dont trust fitters as got told by a fitter that thats not the way to fit one as its to much work to run a wire from the cars battery 

Phishing replied on 17/03/2018 19:55

Posted on 17/03/2018 19:55

Yes you are right but I do not think you are seeing the whole picture.

Run a new 6mm2 from the battery with a 30A fuse at the battery end.

I run this into a further fuse block, 20A 20A 10A

Then just pick you split charger and controller and wire accordingly to the plugs at the towbar. This will work and dependant on the age of your vehicle you should have few problems.

But

I think what the fitters are using is a dedicated loom that will pick up a pre-installed feed in the rear of the car but you generally can only use this with a dedicated loom as it includes control cables to enable associated system as well. A dedicated loom is easier to fit and ensures that any onboard warnings are enabled.

bigrigtrucker replied on 17/03/2018 20:12

Posted on 17/03/2018 20:12

but the wiring diagrams of the relays say to take a wire of the battery as with the light relay can get problems as i did with a car as the new light relays have to have a live to them as well and you cant use the same live in the boot for both i had a fitter out 4 times with a big problem and still did not sort it out cus he was to lazy to run a 30 amp wire from the cars battery to the boot 

Metheven replied on 17/03/2018 20:57

Posted on 17/03/2018 20:57

Freelander 1 or Freelander 2?

Freelander 2 is very difficult to get a cable through the double bulkhead, no wonder the fitters don't want to do it. There is a dedicated fuse in the boot junction box for the purpose of the fridge and charging that a dedicated loom would use, but can be adapted for whatever use.

bigrigtrucker replied on 17/03/2018 21:48

Posted on 17/03/2018 21:48

Iv got a freelander 1 and going run the wire under the car to the back as iv looked under it and can cable tie it to under the car and saves getting the cable inside the car as I'll not be going off road I'll never ground the car to damage the cable 

EmilysDad replied on 17/03/2018 22:08

Posted on 17/03/2018 21:48 by bigrigtrucker

Iv got a freelander 1 and going run the wire under the car to the back as iv looked under it and can cable tie it to under the car and saves getting the cable inside the car as I'll not be going off road I'll never ground the car to damage the cable 

Posted on 17/03/2018 22:08

Why not just use the fuse that Metheven referred to? 😞

bigrigtrucker replied on 17/03/2018 22:17

Posted on 17/03/2018 22:17

Don't think a freelander 1 has the live in the boot same as freelander 2 I'm trying to find out if it dose 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook