Skoda Yeti Towcar

2MichaelT replied on 12/10/2017 11:29

Posted on 12/10/2017 11:29

Hi

Has anyone experienced difficulty in reversing thier caravan with a Skoda Yeti.

I recently Bought a 2017 Skoda Yeti outdoor 2ltr front wheel drive .

And the very first time reversing the caravan into the bay noticed a very foul smell coming from the car the smell lasted all week but I wonder has anyone else had similar problems and is there a solution. The caravan i was towing was the elddis 304 .

any feedback appreciated Thanks ...

Rufs replied on 12/10/2017 15:40

Posted on 12/10/2017 15:40

not an expert on these matters, but had similar problem with a Honda CRV, reversing and doing hill starts. I think you will find that the smell is the clutch plates/fluid getting very hot hence the foul smell. Be very careful it could lead to clutch burn out. Fit a mover could be cheaper than a new clutch.

lornalou1 replied on 13/10/2017 21:29

Posted on 13/10/2017 21:29

has the car got emergancy reverse braking working through the sensors. if it senses anything it is way it applies the brakes to stop you hitting something and may be doing it because the vans in its way so to speak. if not then would suspect clutch as stated earlier.

replied on 13/10/2017 23:17

Posted on 13/10/2017 23:17

The only time I had clutch smell was reversing up a steep grass bank doing a 7 point turn after turning into wrong entrance. Certainly did not last all day though let alone all week.

Was this on a reasonably level area? 

Rufs replied on 14/10/2017 12:10

Posted on 14/10/2017 12:10

yes CRV was terrible reversing on grass even with only a slight slope, was towing a Coachman 5 berth so it came in at 93 pct. Agree smell did not last for a week, but a mechanic told me that once the fluid was burnt it would smell for ever, and it did if you lifted the bonnet. CRV not good at hill starts either, was a manual box, got rid and bought an auto sorento brilliant, and fitted mover to van, solves most of the problems.

2blackcats replied on 16/10/2017 16:18

Posted on 16/10/2017 16:18

I have a similar Yeti and as I have with previous cars get the clutch smell when reversing caravan. Always put it down to my reversing rather than the car. Love the yeti and looking to replace with a 2lL 4 x4 before they become extinct in the new year.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook