Sat-navs and MoTs

geoffeales replied on 26/03/2023 14:32

Posted on 26/03/2023 14:32

Thankfully our faithful tug has passed its MoT for another year, however, when I collected it I was “advised” that my dash-cam had been removed. Apparently, it’s now an instant fail if the driver’s vision is obstructed by anything, including furry dice, air-fresheners or even dash-cameras.  The guy told me he wasn’t mean enough to fail it and make me pay for a retest, which was very kind of him. I just wish he’d removed the camera with a little more care, as both the power cable and the one coming from the rear camera had both disappeared up into the headlining, which will take a couple of hours to retrieve.

I write this warning to my fellow members, be sure to remove your camera before the test and tie the cables safely so it can all be reinstalled easily.

Bakers2 replied on 26/03/2023 14:46

Posted on 26/03/2023 14:46

I write this warning to my fellow members, be sure to remove your camera before the test and tie the cables safely so it can all be reinstalled easily.

surely this defeats the object? You should have nothing interrupting your sight line - on the day of the MOT test and EVERY driving day. An MOT pass only reflects things on that day and time. Should you be pulled over for a chat, or worse involved in an accident it may cost you dearly. Especially on an insurance claim - they look closely at reasons of the cause and to reduce/refuse to pay out for non compliance. I hope you don't have to test it.

Amesford replied on 26/03/2023 15:09

Posted on 26/03/2023 15:09

Likewise some motorist's have two sets of cherished number plates one set used for the MOT and one with incorrect spacings for everyday use.

Arch replied on 26/03/2023 15:26

Posted on 26/03/2023 15:26

A dashcam will not cause an MOT failure unless it obstructs the view of the road, mine is mounted just behind and slightly below the rear view mirror and in no way restricts the view of the road.

geoffeales replied on 26/03/2023 15:31

Posted on 26/03/2023 15:26 by Arch

A dashcam will not cause an MOT failure unless it obstructs the view of the road, mine is mounted just behind and slightly below the rear view mirror and in no way restricts the view of the road.

Posted on 26/03/2023 15:31

this is exactly where mine was situated, and I would agree with you but the tester in my case wouldn't!

geoffeales replied on 26/03/2023 15:39

Posted on 26/03/2023 14:46 by Bakers2

surely this defeats the object? You should have nothing interrupting your sight line - on the day of the MOT test and EVERY driving day. An MOT pass only reflects things on that day and time. Should you be pulled over for a chat, or worse involved in an accident it may cost you dearly. Especially on an insurance claim - they look closely at reasons of the cause and to reduce/refuse to pay out for non compliance. I hope you don't have to test it.

Posted on 26/03/2023 15:39

There's a balance to be had with having video evidence to prove the accident was not my fault

dave the rave replied on 26/03/2023 20:18

Posted on 26/03/2023 15:26 by Arch

Posted on 26/03/2023 20:18

mine is a Garmin and small enough to mount behind the mirror.It has been the rule for a number of years now that nothing should obscure the drivers view of the road through the sweep of the wipers.It has also been law that headlights should be used at times of poor visibility and that number plates should comply with rules about spacing and font,but now that policing is no longer effective people do just what they like!

EmilysDad replied on 26/03/2023 20:38

Posted on 26/03/2023 20:38

It does amaze me the position of some drivers' sat-navs on the screen .... they could hardly be in a more obstructive position if they'd tried .... not suggesting this was the case in Geoff's case.

I do know someone whose car failed its MOT due to a smelly tree hanging from the rear view mirror ...... he's never reminded of it ever though 🙄🙄🤣

And AFAIK .... the position of cameras/etc only applies to the swept area of the screen.

cyberyacht replied on 28/03/2023 12:08

Posted on 28/03/2023 12:08

My dash cam on the moho is situated top left of the windscreen and just covers the top edge of the passenger wiper arc. No mention made at its MOT  a month ago.

peedee replied on 28/03/2023 13:04

Posted on 28/03/2023 13:04

i have had stickers removed from the the extreme left of my windscreen during servicing prior to the MOT allegedly because it would otherwise fail. I think that is where one should place emission stickers when travelling continental.

peedee

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook