Santa Fe towing setup

Marybeth replied on 13/07/2024 09:38

Posted on 13/07/2024 09:38

Hi everyone

I have recently swapped my Mazda CX7 for a 2018-2020 automatic version Santa Fe. The Mazda was absolutely rock solid when towing but the Santa Fe seems to be decidedly twitchy at motorway speeds. Since most people seem to rave about the Santa Fe's ability (and on paper it is heavier than the Mazda and the towing weight ratio is only 74%) I guess I dont have the setup quite right. Certainly the suspension is much softer than the Mazda, and there are many more "driver assistance" toys which I suspect should be switched off, plus the car has its own towing stability system which may be fighting with the Alko caravan system.

If there are any similar Santa Fe drivers out there, I would appreciate any tips on how you set up your car when towing

TIA

Marybeth

viatorem replied on 21/07/2024 15:36

Posted on 21/07/2024 15:36

The key differences between the Mazda and Santa Fe that may affect twitchy handling when towing are as you suspect primarily the suspension. Firmer springs and damping with reduced travel will give a more confident ride. Another is the distance from the rear axle to the towball the greater the distance the more leverage the caravan has to sway the car, also the profile of the tyres , lower profile have less sidewall to wobble on. Moving from a sporty set up SUV toward a more traditional one will bring handling differences, presuming that your nose weight, tyre pressures and loading are all good its just a question of tweaking these to see if you can improve things, ultimately the Santa Fe maybe slighty twitchier than the Mazda which is just something to get used to. 

watto64 replied on 21/07/2024 20:23

Posted on 21/07/2024 20:23

We had a 2011 SF and it was very stable tow car pulling an eddis crusader at 1900kg, in 2017 we changed to the facelifted version and straight away it was struggling to be stable towing the same outfit/loading etc.

In the end I fitted MAD supplementary springs rear springs , these are the progressive springs that are inserted along with the original springs and this corrected the stability issues.

They did not increase the ride height of the car at the rear so normal ride height when solo was maintained. 

Notified to insurance over the five years of ownership and never had the premium loaded.

Marybeth replied on 24/07/2024 17:03

Posted on 24/07/2024 17:03

Thanks for this tip, Watto64. So you think that this made a significant difference to towing stability ?

I've never seen this mentioned on a Towcar review so I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I had a look on the Ekollon website and they aren't crazy expensive so this could be a solution

I'm assuming that my local garage could fit them.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook