Rear View Camera / Dashcam Advice please

netcam replied on 23/03/2022 11:22

Posted on 23/03/2022 11:22

Hello,

Our new Suzuki Vitara 1.4 Mild Hybrid Auto is going to ready with the dealer to collect next week. The spec was supposed to include a rear view camera, but because of Infotainment system supply issues, if we went for an automatic, it would not include a factory fitted rear view camera. It would come with a Sat Nav instead, which we were not particularly bothered about as we have a decent Tom Tom with lifetime traffic, so the dealer agreed to fit a free Rear Parking sensor as part of the deal too.

We had test driven both the auto and manual and preferred the auto so went with that. One feature we loved on the test drive cars was the rear view camera, maybe because we had never used one before, but it seemed useful both potentially for hitching up and also for reversing into or out of our drive where there are often parked cars.

We have now been told by the dealer that they can fit a rear view camera for £300, as they have more information about the Infotainment system supplied and have found it is compatible. However, I understand it is attached to a rear light so will not be completely central, which might not be ideal for hitching up.

We are wondering if it might be better to spend £460 on a Garmin Camper with rear view camera instead (or Avtex equivalent), so the camera could be fitted to a number plate attachment in the centre and also could be transferred to the back of the caravan when towing if we got a 2nd numberplate attachment. Our caravan total length (which we don't have yet) is 4.42 metres, so the range of 13m should be fine.

This would give us both a Caravan compatible Sat Nav and a more useful camera for towing, but obviously means when not towing, if we want to use the camera, we would have to set up the Sat Nav and camera, which I think we would be unlikely to do in reality on a day to day basis for short journeys and so it might not end up being used for going in and out of our drive, although we would have the rear parking sensors for that.

https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/p/677369

This is the camera included in the package:

https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/p/591686

Or we were also wondering if it might be better to keep the Tom Tom for Sat Nav and get a dashcam like this with rearview camera. Could this be used for hitching up and also for security on our new car? Or would it not work like that?

https://www.nextbase.com/en-gb/dash-cams/622gw-dash-cam/

Any views would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Annette

flatcoat replied on 23/03/2022 15:26

Posted on 23/03/2022 15:26

The camera will almost certainly pick up the tow ball so being off-centre is unlikely to be a problem. Are you intending towing with this car? 

netcam replied on 23/03/2022 21:47

Posted on 23/03/2022 15:26 by flatcoat

The camera will almost certainly pick up the tow ball so being off-centre is unlikely to be a problem. Are you intending towing with this car? 

Posted on 23/03/2022 21:47

Yes, we are intending to tow with this car.

Vulcan replied on 23/03/2022 22:39

Posted on 23/03/2022 15:26 by flatcoat

Posted on 23/03/2022 22:39

"so being off-centre is unlikely to be a problem"

It will be a big problem if he's trying to line up with the tow ball and the camera is not central!

netcam replied on 24/03/2022 06:02

Posted on 23/03/2022 22:39 by Vulcan

"so being off-centre is unlikely to be a problem"

It will be a big problem if he's trying to line up with the tow ball and the camera is not central!

Posted on 24/03/2022 06:02

Yes, this was pointed out in the review here:

"However, it’s a shame that the rear-view camera isn’t in the centre of the tailgate. It’s off to one side, so not quite as useful when reversing towards the hitch as it could be."

https://www.practicalcaravan.com/reviews/suzuki-vitara-2

So we were wondering whether we might just be better off going with the Garmin/Avtex.

flatcoat replied on 24/03/2022 07:41

Posted on 24/03/2022 07:41

It is the tow ball you are lining up, not the camera so if you can see the tow ball that becomes your guide. You don’t drive with a central steering wheel and most people manage to steer properly. You very quickly learn to accommodate and adjust. I think this is a mountain out of a molehill and if reversing is such a problem then get a motor mover. What also concerns me is what is being towed with a 1.4 petrol?! 

allanandjean replied on 24/03/2022 08:13

Posted on 24/03/2022 08:13

Hi, We have had one car with a, centrally mounted, rear view camera.

Whilst its a useful tool to assist you thats all it is and even using the camera it was only to get 'close', and then I got out and looked anyway.

As I say, useful, but would I pay the money you are talking about? No.

As for sat nav, I am fortunate to have it inbuilt and it uses Google maps-if it wasn't I would use Google maps on my phone.

Plan the route on a PC/laptop, so you can check out any access that looks a bit tight on Streetview, then send the directions to your phone.

I am presuming that someone who is considering this spend already has a smartphone!

EmilysDad replied on 24/03/2022 08:28

Posted on 24/03/2022 08:13 by allanandjean

Hi, We have had one car with a, centrally mounted, rear view camera.

Whilst its a useful tool to assist you thats all it is and even using the camera it was only to get 'close', and then I got out and looked anyway.

As I say, useful, but would I pay the money you are talking about? No.

As for sat nav, I am fortunate to have it inbuilt and it uses Google maps-if it wasn't I would use Google maps on my phone.

Plan the route on a PC/laptop, so you can check out any access that looks a bit tight on Streetview, then send the directions to your phone.

I am presuming that someone who is considering this spend already has a smartphone!

Posted on 24/03/2022 08:28

Exactly this. My car has a reasonably recent update of its maps, but I've discovered a few times that 'she' hasn't a clue of some fairly major road improvements eg M6 north of Lancaster. I use it because it's there, but frequently use WAZE on my phone that is aware of what's happening now on the road & will reroute you accordingly. It also has a reverse camera with lines on the screen to guide you .... again, I use it because it's there, but managed to hitch up a caravan for years without one. 

ADP1963 replied on 24/03/2022 08:37

Posted on 24/03/2022 08:37

My car also has a reversing camera which I find really good as I am by myself now. None of my previous car's had one, but then I used various indicating positions to get me in position.

netcam replied on 24/03/2022 08:41

Posted on 24/03/2022 07:41 by flatcoat

It is the tow ball you are lining up, not the camera so if you can see the tow ball that becomes your guide. You don’t drive with a central steering wheel and most people manage to steer properly. You very quickly learn to accommodate and adjust. I think this is a mountain out of a molehill and if reversing is such a problem then get a motor mover. What also concerns me is what is being towed with a 1.4 petrol?! 

Posted on 24/03/2022 08:41

Silver Mini Freestyle 290. MIRO 688kg, MTPLM 1000kg (but we don't intend to use that much payload):

https://www.mini-freestyle.com/en/mini-freestyle-290.html

We don't really want a motor mover as it will add to the payload and noseweight.

Review is helpful from Practical Caravan about the car's capability as a tow car for lightweight trailers:

https://www.practicalcaravan.com/reviews/suzuki-vitara-2

We also checked matching carefully on towcar.info

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook