RAV4 Hybrid

Hatter replied on 01/08/2016 07:54

Posted on 01/08/2016 07:54

Hi there

Looking to change the car, presently have a 2010 RAV4 2.2 D-4D AWD XTR, and have been thinking about going hybrid. The new RAV4 hybrid AWD looks ok on paper for towing (apart from low nose weight of 70kg). Wondered if anyone had any experience of towing with it. Main concern is hill starts as petrol engine doesn't seem to give high torque until revving hard and not sure if motors would have enough torque on their own to move the outfit.

Thanks

Peter

tigerfish replied on 28/06/2017 12:14

Posted on 28/06/2017 12:14

I have not been impressed by any of the New Generation Hybrids as tow cars yet.  I don't think that the development of such vehicles has reached the right level yet.

When the industry gets around to cleaning up the 2.5 to 3 litre plus band, used by the large white delivery vans, then we might start to see some decent new tow vehicles.  Until then its the strong diesel for me.

Have just changed by beloved ML300CDI for an ML350CDI.    I just couldn't face the issues that seem to accompany each of the hybrids that I tried.  They all had either low range (miles) Low power, Low nose weight or low maximum permitted tow limit.

I want to know that whatever weight that I might be towing, my vehicle can cope.  That it can do at least 500 miles between fill ups (Solo) and a minimum of 400 miles towing heavy van.  I want absolute confidence that it will tow my van confidently up a steep wet ferry ramp, and that it will have total reliability .  When and only then, will I consider buying a Hybrid.

TF

Liam Holmes replied on 28/06/2017 22:18

Posted on 28/06/2017 22:18

The RAV 4 hybrid is a 2.5 petrol and satisfies the criteria set out by tigerfish.

i've had mine for almost a year and find it much more comfortable as a tow car than my previous car which was a manual diesel estate.

tigerfish replied on 29/06/2017 00:43

Posted on 29/06/2017 00:43

But check out the TOY reports and its still not ready for heavy duty towing.  Its got a reasonable engine but sadly not matched with an & out stable chassis for confident towing under all conditions.

I will stick with my heavy and stable 3 litre V6 until a proper alternative is available.  And I do like Toyota's!  Come on Toyota, - put a great Petrol Hybrid engine in the Landcruiser shell, and you will have a Tow car to be proud of!

TF

flatcoat replied on 29/06/2017 13:29

Posted on 29/06/2017 13:29

The low noseweight alone is sufficient reason it would not work for me. I need about 90kg. Have pondered a used Lexus RX400H but given my annual mileage last year was 21k of which 16k was private and most of my journeys are 30+miles (commuting) i doubt there would be any advantage over my current diesel. Another factor with any Hybrid or EV is the gradual deterioration of the batteries - loss of range, charge cycling and ability to hold charge such that by 100K miles it is likely they will need new batteries...... 

DelawarePete replied on 21/01/2018 14:35

Posted on 21/01/2018 14:35

I'd like to ask Liam what mpg he gets when towing. I'm looking at a Rav4 Hybrid but the reviews don't make good reading.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook