PLEASE be careful.

Cartledge replied on 10/07/2015 19:48

Posted on 10/07/2015 19:48

Drove from Shropshire to Penrith today, solo. Just south of the town, on the M6 south-bound side a serious accident. Car on a low loader and a caravan smashed to little almost unrecognisable pieces, strewn all over three lanes of the motorway.

I felt physically sick at the sight of this. There but for the Grace of God, go you and me.

Please be careful folks, load carefully, don't go too fast, particularly downhill and don't rely on stabilisers too much to bail you out if you make silly mistakes

I doubt that lives were lost, but someone's life has been ruined. I doubt they would go back to caravanning again.

Please go safely.

Best wishes

Peter.

hywelsycharth replied on 29/03/2018 22:01

Posted on 29/03/2018 22:01

Looking at my local (North Wales) news this evening I saw that yet another caravan had overturned going westward (downhill) on the A55 at Rhuallt Hill near St Asaph. This is a most dangerous stretch of road as it is quite steep with a long adverse camber bend in a deep cutting. If it is blowing  in a certain direction caravans are caught in a very strong crosswind when emerging from the cutting.

This happens all too often as caravanners are eager to get to their destination and invariably are travelling far too fast.

Please pass the message on 

PrestonDave replied on 03/04/2018 20:55

Posted on 03/04/2018 20:55

There are always warning signs for slow moving vehicles going up steep hills but never slow down signs for steep hills going down, why I have no idea but maybe it's time local councils who are aware of the roads in their area did something.    

replied on 03/04/2018 20:59

Posted on 03/04/2018 20:59

There are warnings on Rhuallt Hill and I always drop to 50 towing and 60 solo

Takethedogalong replied on 03/04/2018 21:11

Posted on 03/04/2018 21:11

Sadly it's the time of year when vans that don't come out that often are on the roads, just hope everyone involved in incidents is ok. A lot of stress for some folks.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook