Pins 9 and 10 not working on new car

netcam replied on 26/06/2022 22:51

Posted on 26/06/2022 22:51

We have had our new 2022 Suzuki Vitara Mild Hybrid Auto for about 10 weeks. We have just tested attaching the dealer fitted towbar with 13 pin electrics and pins 9 and 10 do not seem to be not working. We have discovered that Pin 9 should power the ALKO ATC and Pin 10 should power the fridge. We tested these with a multimeter and they are showing no voltage. Is it reasonable to expect that these pins are wired as standard? And should we expect the dealer, where we bought the car, to resolve this for us? We mentioned we were buying the car to tow a caravan when we ordered it and at no point were we informed that not all pins would be wired when we ordered the towbar and wiring.

Vulcan replied on 26/06/2022 23:16

Posted on 26/06/2022 23:16

A common problem with some imported vehicles however if it was made clear at the time of purchase that you would be towing a caravan then it is not fit for purpose. They might have just forgotten to update the software for towing when the towbar was fitted.Take it back to the dealer and insist that it is fully wired, pin 10 should be live when the engine is running,pin 11 should be earthed and pin 9 should be permanently live.

eribaMotters replied on 27/06/2022 08:44

Posted on 27/06/2022 08:44

You may have one of two problems.

The pins may not have been wired and unfortunately this is a very common scenario, even when you have specified what is sometimes (by VAG group) called full functionality. 

They have been wired and you cannot get a reading as the contacts may need have a load on them.

Whichever the case you need to take the vehicle back to be checked/fixed. 

On my factory fit Audi A3 I had no feed to fridge. I could not get a reading on the terminals and returned the vehicle to an Audi garage. When they had fixed the issue I was still not getting a reading on the terminals but did on my caravan fuse box when the car was attached and the engine running.

Colin

Bude Camper replied on 27/06/2022 10:17

Posted on 27/06/2022 10:17

We recently got back into the world of camping.  We'd previously had motorhomes but have now reverted back to a caravan. 

We bought a new tow car with fitted tow bar and advised them we would be towing our new to us caravan.

On collecting our caravan the ATC didn't work.  Our caravan dealer advised that pins 9 & 10 were probably not connected.

We advised our car dealer who rectified this at no cost to us.

EmilysDad replied on 27/06/2022 10:27

Posted on 26/06/2022 23:16 by Vulcan

A common problem with some imported vehicles however if it was made clear at the time of purchase that you would be towing a caravan then it is not fit for purpose. They might have just forgotten to update the software for towing when the towbar was fitted.Take it back to the dealer and insist that it is fully wired, pin 10 should be live when the engine is running,pin 11 should be earthed and pin 9 should be permanently live.

Posted on 27/06/2022 10:27

... A common problem with some imported vehicles however if it was made clear at the time of purchase that you would be towing a caravan then it is not fit for purpose.

Not condoning the situation, but surely the car is still fit for purpose because the socket was wired for the trailer's road lighting. .... fridge & charging are not a legal requirement.

Navigateur replied on 27/06/2022 11:15

Posted on 27/06/2022 11:15

There has just been a court case where the local to me Bentley dealer has been made to accept the return of a new Bentley because it was not fit to tow a caravan as was specified when ordered.

netcam replied on 27/06/2022 14:46

Posted on 27/06/2022 10:27 by EmilysDad

... A common problem with some imported vehicles however if it was made clear at the time of purchase that you would be towing a caravan then it is not fit for purpose.

Not condoning the situation, but surely the car is still fit for purpose because the socket was wired for the trailer's road lighting. .... fridge & charging are not a legal requirement.

Posted on 27/06/2022 14:46

I agree about the fridge and battery charging to some extent. But since many modern caravans have ATC which rely on pin 9, to sell new cars with towbar wiring that does not work with a common modern caravan safety feature does not seem fit for purpose.

Lutz replied on 27/06/2022 17:25

Posted on 27/06/2022 11:15 by Navigateur

There has just been a court case where the local to me Bentley dealer has been made to accept the return of a new Bentley because it was not fit to tow a caravan as was specified when ordered.

Posted on 27/06/2022 17:25

Big difference! The towbar on the Bentley in question did not comply with legal requirements. ATC etc. is not a legal requirement. It may be comforting to have, but enough get by without it.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook