Petrol Tow Cars - Octavia or Superb?

Fraser Hall replied on 22/10/2017 12:42

Posted on 22/10/2017 12:42

I'm wondering if someone could help.

We currently own a 10 year old Skoda Octavia Estate 1.9 TDI PD Classic to tow our Adria Altea 542 DK with an MTPLM of 1300kg which according to the towcar outfit match website is a reasonable match.

However, due to recent press regarding harmful particulates from diesel engines and the fact that we live in London we would like to exchange our car for something more environmentally friendly while still being able to tow safely. We would also currently qualify for the scrappage scheme saving us £3500 of a new car so that helps in terms of cost.

We have been looking at petrol cars rather than diesel despite diesels being the more recommended type of car to tow with and the 2 cars we are considering are:

Skoda Octavia Estate 1.5 TSI DSG SE, Automatic, Petrol

• Kerbweight with Driver max - 1480kg
  • Tow weight braked at 12% - 1500kg

Skoda Superb Estate 1.4 TSI 150 DSG SE Automatic, Petrol

• Kerbweight with Driver max - 1665kg
  • Tow weight braked at 12% - 1600kg

Has anybody have any experience of towing with either of these models or could advise on which would be the most suitable? Perhaps you;re in a similar situation? Common sense says that the superb would be more suitable due to it's weight but it costs more and as we don't do a lot of driving in London it seems a bit excessive when it mostly sits outside our house and we only drive around 5-10 miles a week.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Tigi replied on 22/10/2017 19:14

Posted on 22/10/2017 19:14

See what others say but I would not like to stop on a hill with either of those cars.

ChrisRogers replied on 22/10/2017 19:24

Posted on 22/10/2017 19:24

Cannot help with petrol engines; however, I am in no rush to change, will be keeping my Octavia Estate 4x4 2.0TDi CR (2012), the engine is Euro 5, with an efficient DPF and it has had it's emission 'fix' done!!!laughinginnocent Caravan mtplm is 1,318kg, get good mpg when towing, retired now so most of my mileage is towing, always going off.

flatcoat replied on 22/10/2017 19:40

Posted on 22/10/2017 19:40

Don’t assume the scrapage deal is the best option financially. The deals available with finance are possibly even better but you cannot combine them. Even if you don’t want or need finance it is often better to go with the deal and pay it all off after 6 months. And, a 10 year old car is hardly scrap! 

Tinwheeler replied on 22/10/2017 20:14

Posted on 22/10/2017 20:14

I'd immediately rule out the petrol Octavia and also have doubts about the Superb.

You can't beat a diesel for a tug and that's what I'd go for despite the current rumblings.

Simon100 replied on 22/10/2017 20:17

Posted on 22/10/2017 20:17

The Superb is a large car for such a small engine in my opinion.

Have you considered the bhp and torque for each, and where in the rev range the max is? 

As I am sure you are aware, max torque at low revs is why diesel engines make such good tow cars.

Fraser Hall replied on 23/10/2017 11:06

Posted on 23/10/2017 11:06

Thanks to everyone who replied so quickly, all really useful comments and mirror my gut feelings (and the fact that diesels make better tow cars). I think my best bet is to find a more suitable second hand diesel tow car which has a better euro rating if we want to be more environmentally conscious...or stick with what I have for the time being and see what announcements regarding diesels are made in the coming months.

thanks again to all!

flatcoat replied on 23/10/2017 21:08

Posted on 23/10/2017 21:08

Any EU6 diesel is perfectly legal and unlikely to be affected by forthcoming legislation. In reality EU6 diesel is as clean as EU6 petrol but why let the truth get in the way of a good story. If unsure why not go used diesel hybrid with a Volvo V60 estate or E class bluehybrid estate?  Best of both worlds! As an aside my EU5 VW is now using 10% more fuel after the emissions fix so how is it possibly cleaner? 

Craigderby replied on 27/10/2017 11:06

Posted on 27/10/2017 11:06

We tow with a Superb, and also have a caravan which weighs 1300kgs.  It tows very well and is perfectly stable, aided by the long wheelbase of the car.

However we do have the 170bhp diesel version, so I can't comment on the petrol version.  The diesel certainly copes very well with the caravan on the back.

alanannej replied on 03/11/2017 10:16

Posted on 03/11/2017 10:16

We have a van with a similar weight to yours - wouldn't want to risk towing with either of your suggestions. Last 12 years we've been towing with 2l TD Octavias. Now gone for 2l petrol Subaru, but still running in so no towing yet. If you're committed to Skoda (& can't blame you for that) Octavia vRS & top of the range auto Superb both come with 2l TSI engines.

Chris Ardis replied on 14/11/2017 10:23

Posted on 14/11/2017 10:23

I would recommend a Euro 6 diesel in either of your Skoda options.  Obviously the heavier Superb will be the better towcar.  The present diesel hiatus has been caused by journalists who cannot be bothered to gather the real facts and just reprint the garbage spewed out by other lazy colleges. 

As has already been mentioned in a previous post the particulate matter & Nox of Euro 6 is now as clean as petrol and greenhouse gas CO2 is still much lower than petrol.  Plus MPG will be much better with diesel.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook