Petrol station fill up

munro21 replied on 24/06/2020 12:23

Posted on 24/06/2020 12:23

Hi, When towing and going on holiday I have never had to stop and fill up at a petrol station.  I can see it is one of those things that I will have to do eventually.  Does anybody have any advice or tips about filling up at a petrol station?

JVB66 replied on 24/06/2020 12:42

Posted on 24/06/2020 12:42

Try to use the pumps that do not have any others near .ie at the outer edges of the fuel station,and remember which side the filler is (normally a icon on your dash board screen will also remind you) its a pain if wrong side and having to clamber over C/van A frame with pump hose  (its happenedfrown)

Tinwheeler replied on 24/06/2020 12:47

Posted on 24/06/2020 12:47

Remember to allow for width and tail swing as you would when carrying out any manoeuvre.

Oh, and don’t put petrol in your diesel tank 😀

commeyras replied on 24/06/2020 12:55

Posted on 24/06/2020 12:55

You shouldn't have any problems.  Best advice is try to pick a pump that allows easy egress, normally the pump nearest the road.  If you get stuck you can always unhitchsurprised.  Most cars show on the fuel gauge which side the filler is but most hoses are long enough to reach over the car,

Timwheeler.  Are you speaking from experience?

replied on 24/06/2020 13:07

Posted on 24/06/2020 13:07

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Cornersteady replied on 24/06/2020 13:08

Posted on 24/06/2020 13:08

I can understand your concerns but in now over 20 years of towing, not that I've actually towed for 20 years straight you understand, I can remember only twice having to fill up with the caravan on tow.

I always fill up before leaving and (if necessary) fill up in the evening before towing again the next day. Also means you can usually get cheaper fuel from a local supermarket. 

But on the two occasions I have the advice above is all good. I would choose a large petrol station and when I did it was at the services.

richardandros replied on 24/06/2020 14:29

Posted on 24/06/2020 14:29

I have no intention of ever having to fill up with the caravan on the back.  My car has a range of just over 400 miles when towing and that's more than enough for a day's driving with the van on the back! If doing a long trip, I always plan stop-overs after about 200 - 250 miles - park the van on site and then nip out to fill up the car ready for the next day. My thinking is that it's meant to be a holiday, not an endurance test but I appreciate some might be more pushed for time than we are.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook