New tow bar

Bayford replied on 08/08/2020 17:41

Posted on 08/08/2020 17:41

Hi everyone out there, just wondered if anyone else was experiencing the same trouble as us. We bought a new landrover discovery sport in march and as of now still havent managed to get a tow bar. There doesnt seem to be any in the country due to covid.

This seems very strange to me, we actually moved house in the shut down but cant buy a tow bar. Any advice, we live in stourbridge in the west midlands 

Tirril replied on 12/08/2020 14:52

Posted on 12/08/2020 14:52

I presume you are meaning Landrovers own tow bars? I am surprised if so as they normally carry a lot of stock. They have three types, electric deployable (my preference but these are normally fitted at the factory when the car is new), a detachable and a fixed. Over the years I have had all three but out of choice try to avoid the detachable which can be a pain to fit/remove. If you are happy to have the tow ball in view when not towing a fixed unit would the next best option in my opinion. I have had independent makers tow bars fitted in the past but had issues where certain electrics (fridge etc did not work properly or caravan battery not charged) when towing. I have always found that any wiring done by Landrover works fine.

flatcoat replied on 12/08/2020 20:41

Posted on 12/08/2020 20:41

Not sure if anyone has noticed that most manufacturing shut down for a few months this year, and demand for caravans and towing has rocketed, along with demand for towbar fitting. When i wanted a new towbar installation in June i had to compromise with the type and the dedicated wiring loom for my Volvo was the last one in stock in the UK. Some fitters were booked up solid for 3-4 weeks too. 

Also be aware many ebay adverts are not always for stock, check they actually have it in stock and the despatch/delivery dates....

Bayford replied on 21/12/2020 12:01

Posted on 09/08/2020 09:13 by Amesford

Have you tried M M 4x4 in Droitwich

01905 451 506

Posted on 21/12/2020 12:01

many thanks, yes we did and it seemed there were none in the country. Yes we use that guy when the car goes out of warranty.

Bayford replied on 21/12/2020 12:08

Posted on 12/08/2020 14:52 by Tirril

I presume you are meaning Landrovers own tow bars? I am surprised if so as they normally carry a lot of stock. They have three types, electric deployable (my preference but these are normally fitted at the factory when the car is new), a detachable and a fixed. Over the years I have had all three but out of choice try to avoid the detachable which can be a pain to fit/remove. If you are happy to have the tow ball in view when not towing a fixed unit would the next best option in my opinion. I have had independent makers tow bars fitted in the past but had issues where certain electrics (fridge etc did not work properly or caravan battery not charged) when towing. I have always found that any wiring done by Landrover works fine.

Posted on 21/12/2020 12:08

Thanks for your reply, yes we have got one now. It was that the tow bar company in Germany was closed because of covid. As you say we normally have a towbar fitted from a local garage, but when the towbars did start to come through, it was the main dealerships that got them first so we had to pay over double the price for a Landrover towbar fitted by them. I was angry but it was either that or ruin the summer holidays. As it was we had to wait till the end of July anyway.

Thankyou for your help and hope to see you around the sites one day,

Margaret  

davetommo replied on 21/12/2020 16:27

Posted on 21/12/2020 16:27

I always find the best way is to negotiate the towbar in with the price of the the car. My last 5 cars have all been land rovers so get a land rover towbar fitted at the land rover dealers. There has never been a problem with the electrics

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook