New LR Discovery - carrying bikes....

RegG replied on 08/07/2020 11:14

Posted on 08/07/2020 11:14

We are considering swapping our Discovery Sport for a "new" Discovery (or D5 as I call them) but am pondering over the carrying of our bikes on the D5. At present, we put them on the roof of the Disco Sport which is just about doable with the use of a small step. I am dubious as to whether this would be as easy with the D5 as it is slightly taller. Before the Disco Sport we had a Discovery 4 and put the bikes inside the car with no problem but I don't think the D5 has as much headroom.

Can any members give me advice as to what would be the best way to carry bikes if I bought a D5? Thanks in anticipation.

Takethedogalong replied on 08/07/2020 11:28

Posted on 08/07/2020 11:28

We have Jeep Wrangler, very tall, so roof mounting is out. We have Thule tow bar mounted bike carrier, which easily takes our two electric bikes.

If you are talking about what to do with bikes if you are towing, then obviously this won’t work. In this case, the bikes go into the van, carefully wedged and padded. Car boot is full of dog!

Pathfinder replied on 08/07/2020 11:41

Posted on 08/07/2020 11:41

I use a ‘ Max Rax’   Which goes on the towbar, they do a Alight extension piece to enable clearance of jockey wheel handle. Think they do variations for detachable / swan neck t’bars also

Cornersteady replied on 08/07/2020 16:14

Posted on 08/07/2020 16:14

Another one here for a Thule tow bar mounted rack. Took a bit of getting used to on how to get it on the tow ball but now it goes on quickly and rock solid with two ebikes, and a nice touch is that you can title the bikes so that you can still open the boot.

One odd thing is that ours came a seven pin plug for the electrics, so had to buy an adapter for the 13 pin on the car. 

Our caravan already has a rear fixing point for a rack so might look into that for next time when we're towing which could be a while. 

ChemicalJasper replied on 08/07/2020 20:33

Posted on 08/07/2020 20:33

I have recently changed from D4 to D5, the load space is disappointingly smaller in the D5 compared to my D4, but it is a much nicer car to drive otherwise.

I installed a fixed tow-bar on the D4 and used the flange mounted 4 bike maxxraxx with extension piece when towing the caravan. I should point out that it would only take 3 full size bikes without risking fouling the caravan window on full lock, so the wife's bike always goes inside the van.

I got the dealer to install a fixed tow-bar on the D5 as part of the deal, and have swapped the flange mounting over - It all appears to fit dry, but I have not yet towed with it on, as I swapped cars just at the start of lock down.

Obviously once at site, the maxxraxx previously took all 4 bikes with ease.    

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook