Mondeo heated windscreen problem

Scottie2 replied on 20/01/2018 17:53

Posted on 20/01/2018 17:53

On my 2015 mk5 Mondeo I had to get an insurance call out to my windscreen due to a stone chip...A £10 repair was carried out by the recommended glass fitting company...Since it was done, on the first frosty morning I noticed my front heated windscreen wasn’t clearing the ice. (It previously was working perfectly)....Can anyone advise whether the windscreen element got damaged as a result of the repair.

replied on 20/01/2018 18:24

Posted on 20/01/2018 18:24

It used to be the case that you could see lines in windscreens wearing polaroid glasses. If you can see the line of the element on a sunny day you may be able to tell if it coincides with the chip

EmilysDad replied on 20/01/2018 18:25

Posted on 20/01/2018 18:25

Sounds like you might be right,  though I thought there were two seperate elements ie left & right side (certainly the case of the Granada Scorpio my Dad once had) and if one side had been damaged, I'd still expect side side to still work. First off,  have you checked the relevant fuse? Hopefully it's as simple as that.

EmilysDad replied on 20/01/2018 19:53

Posted on 20/01/2018 18:24 by

It used to be the case that you could see lines in windscreens wearing polaroid glasses. If you can see the line of the element on a sunny day you may be able to tell if it coincides with the chip

Posted on 20/01/2018 19:53

Apparently newer heated screens are harder to see, but can't imagine that any damage could possibility avoid any of the elements

ocsid replied on 20/01/2018 20:49

Posted on 20/01/2018 20:49

At the worst, I would only expect any chip caused damage to take out a vertical sector. Possibly then limited to 15 mm wide, the maximum a crack is permitted, this assuming each wire is connected in parallel rather than being grouped in series.

mylo replied on 20/01/2018 21:39

Posted on 20/01/2018 21:39

Hi don’t no if this helps but front screen will stop working if battery is low part of the smart charge system recharge battery and retest 

Scottie2 replied on 21/01/2018 11:46

Posted on 20/01/2018 21:39 by mylo

Hi don’t no if this helps but front screen will stop working if battery is low part of the smart charge system recharge battery and retest 

Posted on 21/01/2018 11:46

Thanks for your suggestion but the car is “15” plate and the other heavy users of power on the car are working fine, including the electrically heated rear window .

mylo replied on 21/01/2018 13:06

Posted on 21/01/2018 13:06

Hi yes just turns of front screen as you can still clear it useing heater leaves rear one on is it both sides of screen there is 2 fuses 1for left and other for right think there in fuse box behind glove box have a look in hand book will tell you which fuses other fuse box under bonnet by battery hope this helps

mylo replied on 21/01/2018 13:14

Posted on 21/01/2018 13:14

Hi forgot to say normally turns stop start of at same time if battery low if fitted to your car

Scottie2 replied on 18/02/2018 20:22

Posted on 20/01/2018 17:53 by Scottie2

On my 2015 mk5 Mondeo I had to get an insurance call out to my windscreen due to a stone chip...A £10 repair was carried out by the recommended glass fitting company...Since it was done, on the first frosty morning I noticed my front heated windscreen wasn’t clearing the ice. (It previously was working perfectly)....Can anyone advise whether the windscreen element got damaged as a result of the repair.

Posted on 18/02/2018 20:22

Update....Ford took my Mondeo in to investigate and whilst booking car in I happen to mention could they also have a look at my radio/cd as it wasn’t possible to listen to the radio or cd with the engine stopped but with the keys still in and at auxiliary.....This extra information immediately gave the service manager the vital piece of information in that this plus the heated front screen fault were related...Although my battery was in good condition and likewise the alternator output, my battery was not achieving the necessary voltage needed , Apparently less than 85% charged can cause this problem and the radio/cd shutting down after 30 seconds with the message “battery saving”....The workshop put it on charge for 5 hours and bingo, everything now working...It appears it’s just another one of those things that the modern car can throw up....So if any other Ford owners of 2015 era has the same symptoms this info may help.

EmilysDad replied on 18/02/2018 21:12

Posted on 18/02/2018 20:22 by Scottie2

Update....Ford took my Mondeo in to investigate and whilst booking car in I happen to mention could they also have a look at my radio/cd as it wasn’t possible to listen to the radio or cd with the engine stopped but with the keys still in and at auxiliary.....This extra information immediately gave the service manager the vital piece of information in that this plus the heated front screen fault were related...Although my battery was in good condition and likewise the alternator output, my battery was not achieving the necessary voltage needed , Apparently less than 85% charged can cause this problem and the radio/cd shutting down after 30 seconds with the message “battery saving”....The workshop put it on charge for 5 hours and bingo, everything now working...It appears it’s just another one of those things that the modern car can throw up....So if any other Ford owners of 2015 era has the same symptoms this info may help.

Posted on 18/02/2018 21:12

Which to me, suggests your alternator isn't putting out enough charge 😕

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook