Merc E350 CLS Shooting Brake

curly 1971 replied on 31/07/2020 18:22

Posted on 31/07/2020 18:22

Hi everyone.

After getting rid of the very capable Audi SQ5 in Jan, Im finally back in a position to get a new towcar (The Wifes Abarth just wont pull the van).

So after 2 months of going round and round what I wanted, narrowed it down to a Range Rover Sport (which Ive had before and loved) or a Land Rover Disco 4 (which Ive really liked for a while).  So Autotrader has been absolutely rinsed and I just can not find either that ticks all the boxes. 

While searching, a local dealer advert popped up with a Merc CLS 350D Shooting Brake, absolute perfect spec, right colour combo and low milage.  Never ever would have looked at one but this ticks all the boxes.  More than powerfull to pull my van and family all over Europe and still return good MPG, with a boot big enough for the daft Choc Lab and awning.

Witter do a removable towbar and the weights for towing all balance perfect.

Is there anyone on here that tows with one of these, or has in the past that could give some advise and feedback before I test drive tomorrow without the van).

I know where I am with a Range.  Im not with this Merc.

Thanks everyone, stay safe.

CURLY

EmilysDad replied on 31/07/2020 20:27

Posted on 31/07/2020 20:27

I tow with that engine in my ML350 & it's more than capable, I'd imagine  a CLS350 would fly. I'd really fancied one myself but just felt they weren't quite heavy enough for my twin axle Coachman.

Whittakerr replied on 31/07/2020 22:16

Posted on 31/07/2020 22:16

Not too familiar with that car but looking at some images are you sure the boot is big enough for the daft Choc Lab and awning?

EmilysDad replied on 31/07/2020 22:51

Posted on 31/07/2020 22:16 by Whittakerr

Not too familiar with that car but looking at some images are you sure the boot is big enough for the daft Choc Lab and awning?

Posted on 31/07/2020 22:51

They're not the biggest of 'estates' ..... more form than function, but a lovely looking car none the less.

Oxfordeagle15 replied on 01/08/2020 12:11

Posted on 01/08/2020 12:11

I have recently changed from an E Class estate 350D 4matic to a Range Rover Sport 3.0 sdv6.

Please check your nose weight  as it was only 84 kgs on the Merc - the RR is 150.  To compensate - plenty of heavier stuff had to go into the rear washroom.

Yes the Merc had plenty of grunt and nothing really phased it - up hill or down dale it just trundled along happily and in Europe the 60 mph limit was effortlessly passed.  The boot was like a tardis, able to handle all we had and with half the back seat up for the dog.

Reliability was a challenge with it to be honest - often twice a year at the local dealership having things mended.  The other challenge was fuel .... it was thirsty with a 1550 kgs van -.22 to 23 mpg was the norm, much less on windy days.

The Range Rover Sport has a much greater nose weight so more can go into the caravan.  The boot does not hold as much though.  We also changed the caravan a few weeks back and with a heavier one hooked up, our recent outing of 250 miles each way saw a fuel consumption of 30.5 mpg which was more than pleasing.

Will I ever return to Mercedes?  Unlikely.  But only my view and I know many who will never leave the three pointed star.

Hope this helps

Tirril replied on 02/08/2020 22:16

Posted on 02/08/2020 22:16

Two things to check on the Merc. Has it got air suspension at least on the rear wheels as a friend complained he found his outfit pitched about on poor road surfaces. Also check the tow ball hitch height. His was too low making his caravan tow nose down and he had some grounding issues with the jockey wheel catching speed humps found on many caravan sites.

EmilysDad replied on 02/08/2020 22:29

Posted on 02/08/2020 22:16 by Tirril

Two things to check on the Merc. Has it got air suspension at least on the rear wheels as a friend complained he found his outfit pitched about on poor road surfaces. Also check the tow ball hitch height. His was too low making his caravan tow nose down and he had some grounding issues with the jockey wheel catching speed humps found on many caravan sites.

Posted on 02/08/2020 22:29

According to Top Gear they have air as standard at the back with convention steel springs at the front .... 

replied on 03/08/2020 17:00

Posted on 03/08/2020 17:00

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Lutz replied on 03/08/2020 18:31

Posted on 03/08/2020 17:00 by

Not certain but I have a feeling that model is not manufacturer approved (don know the correct term) for towing however there is nothing wrong with the Estate and I have towed 1500 kg over 70k miles with the two I have had. The carrying capacity is vast and I have been more than happy  with power and fuel consumption

Posted on 03/08/2020 18:31

From what I have been able to establish, the Shooting Brake version is type approved to tow up to 2100kg. All other versions aren't.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook