Merc 250 GLC

EmilysDad replied on 07/08/2017 17:15

Posted on 07/08/2017 16:25 by stephen p

I found with my GLC that the clamps (2017) were a very tight fit and fouled the glass. However if you persevere you will find that tightening the clamps causes the housing to distort enough to free the glass. Also when the car is locked they just, and only just, miss the door window when they fold up. No problem with slipping, and I use them well towards the outside of the car to give maximum viewing width. 

I would also recommend the grand aero convex, they look massive but they are not much bigger than the standard car mirror and give a great view.

By the way:-  the GLC 250D is a great car for towing, bags of torque, GTW of 5000kg, add the luxury of adaptive cruise control and you have the best tow car I have owned, and one that is not too massive to use as the holiday runabout when you are on site.

Posted on 07/08/2017 17:15

My towing mirrors don't miss the glass on my R Class frown but locking the car with the passenger door open fools the system into not folding the mirrors ..... obviously I then shut the door.

I'm surprised at the 5 tonne GTW though. My car's GTW is a nadger under 5 tonnes but at 2.2 tonnes kerb weight is around 300 kg than yours. I recently looked as a neighbour has very recently got a GLC & I was surprised at how big they are up close, but 'only' weigh about 1800kg

stephen p replied on 07/08/2017 18:09

Posted on 07/08/2017 17:15 by EmilysDad

My towing mirrors don't miss the glass on my R Class frown but locking the car with the passenger door open fools the system into not folding the mirrors ..... obviously I then shut the door.

I'm surprised at the 5 tonne GTW though. My car's GTW is a nadger under 5 tonnes but at 2.2 tonnes kerb weight is around 300 kg than yours. I recently looked as a neighbour has very recently got a GLC & I was surprised at how big they are up close, but 'only' weigh about 1800kg

Posted on 07/08/2017 18:09

Indeed 2500 maximum towing and the other half of the GTW is gross car weight.

My mirrors fold up and in and strangely the nearside mirror is a different shape to the drivers one and the bottom of the Grand Aero will just touch the glass sometimes on the left side.

The car is a similar size to the Volvo XC60, not quite as tall but it's footprint is about the same. Still just about OK for the mean car parking spaces we have nowadays. 

EmilysDad replied on 07/08/2017 18:37

Posted on 07/08/2017 18:37

@ Stephen. Indeed 2500 maximum towing and the other half of the GTW is gross car weight.

What weight is shown on the B post? 2500kg max towing plus 1800kg kerb weight isn't 5 tonnes undecided Though my max towing weight is only 2100kg despite 2200kg kerb weight.

stephen p replied on 07/08/2017 21:58

Posted on 07/08/2017 21:58

Kerb weight is the lightest weight the car can be when ready for use and is not relevant except for the 85% suggested maximum caravan weight.

From a personal point of view I choose my outfit to ensure that my caravan never weighs more than my cars kerb weight, tail wagging dog etc.

Gross weight (MAM) is the maximum allowable mass of the car when fully loaded, my GLC is, as already stated, 2500kg.

Gross train weight (GTW = MAM + Trailer). On my GLC (without me rounding it down) this is actually 5100kg leaving me with a maximum trailer weight of 2600kg.

Can't change the figures, they are what they are!

EmilysDad replied on 07/08/2017 22:16

Posted on 07/08/2017 21:58 by stephen p

Kerb weight is the lightest weight the car can be when ready for use and is not relevant except for the 85% suggested maximum caravan weight.

From a personal point of view I choose my outfit to ensure that my caravan never weighs more than my cars kerb weight, tail wagging dog etc.

Gross weight (MAM) is the maximum allowable mass of the car when fully loaded, my GLC is, as already stated, 2500kg.

Gross train weight (GTW = MAM + Trailer). On my GLC (without me rounding it down) this is actually 5100kg leaving me with a maximum trailer weight of 2600kg.

Can't change the figures, they are what they are!

Posted on 07/08/2017 22:16

I know what weights do what ..... 

so the GTW on you B post is 5100kg undecided I'm surprised, as mine is just under 5000 kg but my car weighs more, though its MAM is 2865kg.

I was only asking as I'm thing of my next tow car, but GLC & a caravan with a MTPLM of 1865kg would put me towing almost weight for weight.

stephen p replied on 08/08/2017 22:55

Posted on 07/08/2017 22:16 by EmilysDad

I know what weights do what ..... 

so the GTW on you B post is 5100kg undecided I'm surprised, as mine is just under 5000 kg but my car weighs more, though its MAM is 2865kg.

I was only asking as I'm thing of my next tow car, but GLC & a caravan with a MTPLM of 1865kg would put me towing almost weight for weight.

Posted on 08/08/2017 22:55

You were certainly confusing kerb weight with Gross weight when you stated:-

"What weight is shown on the B post? 2500kg max towing plus 1800kg kerb weight isn't 5 tonnes"

I am not sure why you are surprised, I don't imagine the R class was ever aiming for the same off road tow anything image that current SUVs are. Current models are made lighter and plated heavier. Not sure that makes them better tow cars.

PeterAC replied on 09/08/2017 17:06

Posted on 09/08/2017 17:06

Sorry to jump in and change the subject but I need help from Mercedes GLC owners. I have just purchased a 250d model with keyless opening of the tailgate and now am having trouble getting a towbar fitted. Apparently the 'kick' sensor is the problem.

Anyone had an aftermarket towbar fitted and solved this problem?

Thanks

jlseagull replied on 25/04/2021 13:52

Posted on 09/08/2017 17:06 by PeterAC

Sorry to jump in and change the subject but I need help from Mercedes GLC owners. I have just purchased a 250d model with keyless opening of the tailgate and now am having trouble getting a towbar fitted. Apparently the 'kick' sensor is the problem.

Anyone had an aftermarket towbar fitted and solved this problem?

Thanks

Posted on 25/04/2021 13:52

We had a Tow Trust bar fitted by Brittania Towing Centre, Swindon.   Brilliant job and all electrics including the kick action tailgate work fine.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook