Mass in service

armourer replied on 04/08/2020 20:35

Posted on 04/08/2020 20:35

can anyone tell me if my mass in service weight on my log book includes an allowance for the 

driver ? how much do they allow ?

ive heard some manufacturers allow 70kg for the driver   well im 100kg  so do i get to add 30kg onto the allowance  or do i add 100kg if there is no allowance ?

i have a 2015 skoda

Lutz replied on 05/08/2020 07:54

Posted on 05/08/2020 07:54

Mass in service includes, by definition, 68kg for the driver and 7kg for sundry items. However, don't take the mass in service figure in the V5c as being exactly the unladen weight of your particular car. It is the weight of the same model of car that the manufacturer submitted for type approval. It may have been differently equipped (the definition of mass in service states that it applies to the base vehicle with the minimum of factory fitted options), so there could be quite a substantial difference (up to 150kg is not unusual).

The actual weight of the car is what is quoted under item 13.2. in the Certificate of Conformity. If you don't have that your only option is to put the car on a weighbridge.

By definition, kerbweight does not include the driver.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook